Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Refrig side by side model ESS25LSRE SS Freezer side

Customer Question

Refrig side by side model ESS25LSRE SS
Freezer side Refrig Side
set on 2 Set on 2
melt/refreeze near top barely cool enough on top
solid frozen in bottom freezes in bottom
water line frozen

Prev unplugged and thawed for 2 days. Frig and freezer is full of food.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I suspect you have an airflow issue, either caused by a defrost problem or an evaporator fan that is not working. Open the freezer door and inspect the rear panel. Is there frost built up on the rear wall towards the bottom? Do you hear a fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

water is dripping down rear wall of freezer and freezing near the bottom.

water is also freezing at bottom on refrig side.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Okay, do you see any frost on the rear wall? Can you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is dripping water on the rear wall of the freezer. We cannot hear a fan running

when the door is open or closed.

I don't know where the water is coming from in the frig but it is frozen on the bottom.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
There should be a fan running in the freezer. The fan not running will cause the cold air simply to fall to the bottom of each compartment. There is a return air hole in the bottom LH side of the fresh food section that will allow cold air to enter and this is why the water is frozen. There are two things that could cause the fan not to run; the fan motor itself and the control board. If you do not have a meter, I would recommend replacing them both. Neither is real expensive and you risk damaging the control if you replace it and find the fan is shorted. Would you like part numbers for these parts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES, I would like the part numbers of both. What are the prices?
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

WR55X10942 is the control, $109.99.

WR60X10185 is the evap fan motor, $42.41. These prices are from www.appliancezone.com.

Follow link below to service manual to aid in replacing them!

Service Manual