Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Whirlpool Duet Sport washer. For the past two weeks

Customer Question

We have a Whirlpool Duet Sport washer. For the past two weeks the F-28 light comes on about 2/3 of the times that we've used it. I have been hitting the "Cancel" button and re-setting the dial to a different cycle, depending on how much time is left. This has been annoying, but worked. Today the F-28 display came on immediately after hitting the "Start" button. The cycle never began and the door is now locked. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem without an expensive service call from the Whirlpool repairman?

Thanks for any info.

Brian in Charlotte
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com, Brian in Charlotte! The F28 your washer is displaying is due to a communication issue between the boards. There are several control boards in your washer and they talk via little data cables. If they cannot pass information properly, you get the F28 you are now seeing. The most common cause the F28 is poor connections. The first thing to do is unplug the machine, remove the top of the machine (3 screws along rear of top), remove the rear panel (lots of screws), and locate the motor control board and the machine control. The motor control is located at the bottom of the machine, to the side of the tub. The machine control is mounted on the right side of the cabinet up at the top just behind the front panel. Once located, CAREFULLY remove each connector, one at a time, and reinsert it back into its position. Then move to the motor control and do the same thing. These little connectors build up resistance very easily and are likely the root of your washer problem. Let me know what happens once this is completed and the washer is plugged back in.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Well, how'd ya do? Still having troubles or did you get it fixed?