Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Refrigerator is not cold, freezer had frost on back wall,

My Refrigerator is not cold, freezer had frost on back wall, and was not freezing very well, I cleared the food away from the vent in the freezer cleaned the dust from fan area in the back. Any Ideas? I just restarted the fridge now, what are my chance this will restore fridge compartment coldness?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is very common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE
sorry below is a link to the part again

CLICK HERE

It appears to be the cheapest place you can get it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you remove the lower back panel does it just snap out?
There are just screws holding the panel on. You'll need to thaw the frost and then remove the screws going into that back panel, then the panel will just pull forward and off. Good luck. The heater is located at the bottom of all the frost not sure if you got my last message because I think I linked the part wrong the first time, but below isa link to the actual heater you need to order.

CLICK HERE