Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a Frigidaire model FRS26KR4DB6 side by side refrigerator that is approx 5 yrs old.

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire model FRS26KR4DB6 side by side refrigerator that is approx 5 yrs old. About six months ago, it quit. I read the trouble shooting guide here at ACME How To and got it going by pulling it away from the wall, removing the dust guard and vacuuming the dust from the coils and perforations in the dust guard to allow air flow and heat dissipation. A couple of months later, the refrigerator quit again. I pulled it away from the wall and vacuumed the coils (although this time they didn't appear to be that bad#, plugged it back in and it worked. A couple months later, it quite again #today). So, I pulled it away from the wall, removed the dust guard and vacuumed what little bit of dust was there from the coils... let it sit unplugged for a couple hours and plugged it back in and it's working again. The refrigerator is in the laundry room with 3- 4 inches of space in the back and sides. Could the intermittent failures be an indication of a part going bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Make sure the fan is running in the back by the compressor. If the fan is running i would replace the start relay on the compressor. There is no way to test the start relay.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the start relay and it cooled for a few hours but eventually quit again (fan is running)... any other suggestions?
You have a bad compressor.