Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have upright fredidaire freezer, the problem is it cant

I have upright fredidaire freezer, the problem is it can't produce enough cold inside the freezer I checked everything I adjusted the temp control to max and checked for door seal if theres any leak but it was okay. The motor runs normal but inside the ref is still wet. Is there anything to do with the freon? I need help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Hello name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

On the inside rear wall. At the bottom is a cover that extends out toward the front of the freezer with the control knob on it. Look and see if there is a coating of frost on it.

Let me know,
Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The appliance is in my uncle house few blocks away from here i cant checked at this time is there's any possible cause for not giving the the right coldness besides from that frost coating as you have said.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
There are many, the most common is a defect in the defrost part of the system restricting air flow.

He can listen inside near that same panel where the control is to verify the fan is operating and touch (must touch) the compressor (looks like a black ball). To verify that is operating. The compressor is located at the lower rear.

He can check those things but I cannot know which way I need to go without the info.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We open the cover inside the freezer and the condenser expose we tried to plug it in and we see the fan running and blowing the air upward to the top of the freezer and by adjusting the temp control to max you hear hear the motor runs. The only problem is not enough cold inside the freezer that makes inside wet or watery.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Was it unplugged for a while?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no we just only unplug because we open the access door inside the freezer. It was originally running and when we open the freezer its wet.When the motors is running for few minutes you can see ice being build up in the coil and at the same time fan running too.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok do the coils have so much frost in them that it would appear to you to prevent air from flowing through them?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I open it for the first time just little frost on the coil
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hmm,,,the whole coil or just one small area?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just one small area may 1/4 of the coil and its very thin ice
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
If it has been plugged in a while the coils should have been all white/cold. If there was only 1/4 of them white there is a freon leak. Thats not going to be something you or your uncle can do.

That means you will have to call for a freon line leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon? (They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find a part of your unit that is clogged and be able to repair it that day .

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

Barry