Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a fridigidare fridge and the right side (the fridge

Customer Question

I have a fridigidare fridge and the right side (the fridge side) stopped cooling and the TOP light went out. The freezer part still works (light on and cold). Any ideas what this could be? I don't hear the condenser working on the fridge side at all (no motor running).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your fridge..First off the freezer is what cools the fridge via fan motor.The fridge does not have its own cooling system..There is a damper #115..It is located on the middle wall between the fridge and freezer...It should open and close according to the setting of temperature control knob.There is a small motor which opens and closes the damper,Which commonly fail.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so then why is the light inside the fridge out? Is that run by the damper too? Or is it possibly a fuse out?
A fuse would have nothing to do with the light..That problem maybe a faulty light bulb.A faulty bulb socket...Or possible a bad door switch.Which would need to be tested with a meter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, so your saying that this motor went out at EXACTLY the same time that the light went out and they are NOT related at ALL?
It is quite possible..I did not say the motor was bad to begin with..It is a common problem..You would need to test it with a meter first .Have you changed the bulb..?

Edited by MasterTech on 2/1/2011 at 2:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the bulb on the lower part of the fridge still works.... I swapped them, and the top bulb (that was out before) works now. SO then what does that tell me? Its this motor? ANd if so, I cannot SEE anything resembling the schematic that you sent me in the fridge. I took off the back panel and there was nothing like it...so I assume that what your saying is broken is inside the fridge, under the white panel at the top of the fridge by the vents - which is where the door is failing and is not letting the cool air in?
The bulb from the top works in the top or the bottom when you switched it..To find the damper look for the small vent where air should be flowing through from the freezer.
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Do not appreciate the negative feedback comment.If you didn't understand then you should post back until you do..Form the feedback you left it seems to me the job is way to complicated for you to address.The diagram identify the damper..Did you check the damper at all or just assume it was ok.?..We can give you the information but cannot do the troubleshooting for you unfortunately...Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you got paid. you did not answer my question, you told me that you "never said it was the motor". You were rude. I am not stupid and I went to this site because normally I just fix things on my own. But today rather than looking up the schematic on my own, I decided to pay you so that you could help me, which you did not. Know the difference between a chiltons manual and the actual manual of a car - well talking to you was like looking at a Chiltons. One sentence. remove front panel of dash. That takes about 20 steps - but they list it as one sentence. And you gave me an answer like a chiltons - useless.

try EXPLAINING where my issue is, not just showing me a diagram. Try telling me how to trouble shoot rather than saying "this is common"... and try addressing all of my issues - not just ignoring my light bulb question until I continue to prod about it.
Its only facts..You stated that i said the motor was bad.This is what i said.."There is a small motor which opens and closes the damper,Which commonly fail"...Then i went on to say

"You would need to test it with a meter first .Have you changed the bulb..?"

That stated there would tell me to go ahead and test the motor..At least you figured out to check the light bulb ..If only you would have taken it further..You most likely would have it figured out.