Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

we moved our 1999 Amana bottom freezer BG21VW refrig from the

we moved our 1999 Amana bottom freezer BG21VW refrig from the kitchen to the garage just down one step. Had two big guys carrying it. We did tilt it to go through the door. Turned it on and it was fine and got cold but this am it was making a loud low toned noise constant. It is up on a plataform. Any ideas what the noise is. Still works fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. This unit wont work out in a cold garage. This unit is designed to cool not keep cold air out. When the fridge is cold it thinks the freezer has cooled it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have another refrig in the garage and it works fine and does not have a noise. What is the loud low toned noise? we already thought about the refrig in the cold garage. When I have it unplugged and replug it it still makes the noise in the day time when the temp goes up.
Make sure the fan is spinning in the back next to the compressor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the fan is blowing air out the back
What about the one in the freezer. Is it blowing air?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is only air blowing out of the bottom left (left being left when facing the refrig from the front)behind the freezer. There is no place for air to blow out of the top refrig as it is all enclosed. this is a bottom freezer. Is there a front to back level that we should be looking for. It is a soft, low tone low sound like the motor. When i turned the temp in the freezer down from 5 to 3 the sound went away. The freezer control turned the noise off!!
The only things that will make noise is a fan or the compressor.