repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
15371985

My automatic low heat setting on my Kenmore 600 dryer is not

Customer Question

My automatic low heat setting on my Kenmore 600 dryer is not work drying the clothes properly. I had it on high heat and also it did not dry very well. I then went away and tried again to it worked again. I checked the vents and they were all clear. I really think the heat is working intermittently.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. In order to help you properly, I need the full model number off of your dryer inside the door to go further. Thanks.
Experience: 38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model # XXXXX
Hi, if the element is coming on red and shutting off, its controlled by a control thermostat part number;(NNN) NNN-NNNN$21.26 at Sears. I know you've already done this, but please recheck vent. Where it comes off of dryer to where it goes out the wall, it needs to be straight as possible, no kinks or bad bends. If there are it causes back pressure on the heating element. Correct here if need be. Next, go outside check the wall vent. Make sure its clear of any and all lint build up. If this all checks out, then you will need the control thermostat located on blower housing. You will have to lift top up by pressing in on right and left sides with a putty knife and lifting and propping back. Remove screws at top of front and lift off and remove door switch wires. WHEN WORKING ON THIS UNPLUG UNIT. Check blower pipe to back of machine for lint also. Hope this Helps and Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes i have went outside and checked the vent from the inside and the outside and it is clear. I took off the vent hose from the dryer and i ran it on high heat. It was still not blowing hot air. I took a break and came back it was blowing hot. I tried it again it blew cold air. All of this was done with no vent hose attached to the dryer. The frustrating part of this is that it seems to be working intermittenly. I will try with what you suggested, the control thermostat and see if that is it. I am pretty sure that it is not the vents. I will accept answer once i try the control thermostat. Is there a for sure test to make sure it is the control thermostat?
Concerning the heating element, the control thermostat is what cycles if on and off. There is a safety thermostat, but if it goes off, it will not come back on. Also there is a thermal fuse, but again here if it goes out, dryer shuts down and won't come back on. Give it a try and let me know and Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I switched the thermostat but it still didn't work. Turned out to be the coils. The coils were not working properly.
Good Morning; I got your email, where are we with this now? I'm still available if you still need help. Thanks. Smile
Hi, was awaiting your response back about hearing clicks when you turn it on. I'm sorry if I missed your answer back. Yes, the coils can go bad, and that was the response I needed to go further. There could have been several issues here. Glad you found the coil problem. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got it replaced and it works like a charm now. Thanks.
Morning, glad its fixed and you are back in business, have a good day.