Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a 2-1/2 year old Miele G2420 Sci dishwasher. The intake

Customer Question

We have a 2-1/2 year old Miele G2420 Sci dishwasher. The "intake drain" red light was on .. My husband removed the trap, cleaned out the junk and re-installed it. When we re-started it, the red light went back on and the dishwasher stopped working. Can you assist?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You need to start a cycle again to see what happens. The dishwasher should drain for the first 15-30 seconds, then it should start to fill continuously (not going on and off with the water). It should fill to just below the filter handle, then it should start to wash. Tell me where it stops or what doesn't happen according to what I just stated should happen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We tried your suggestion already before we wrote our question .. We re-started it after cleaning the trap but it won't stay on for more than 5 seconds .. The red light turns back on and it stops.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so it turns on within 5 seconds of starting a new cycle? So it doesn't even drain the water out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's correct .. within 5 seconds, just stops. The water won't drain out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok then that's your problem, your drain isn't working. Pull everything out (basket filters)and drain the water out manually again. There is a little plastic dome with a wire clip over it. Pry the clip off and then pull up on the plastic dome hard. Look for any debris and then clear it out. Put it all back together and it should work. If not,t hen you need to replace your drain pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband went downstairs to pull it apart .. He said there is no dome and no clip as you mentioned. There is only the basket which he already cleaned out and replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
it's below all of that. Once you remove the stainless steel filter plate, you'll see the dome once you drain out all the water or soak it up with a towel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm going down to look at it also .. Pls stand by ..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck, I have to go right now actually but I'll be back later if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you are still there, all I see is an inverted "dome" but it appears to be totally attached to the rest of the machine, not movable. Is the clip you refer to on the left side of that? I can send a photo if this format allows. I will await your response when you return.