Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have an older Jen Air SEG196 gas top electric oven. Everything

Customer Question

I have an older Jen Air SEG196 gas top electric oven. Everything works fine except the self cleaning does not operate. All functions, timer, clock, therostat, selector, work perfectly.
Fan comes on when selector is placed in CLEAN position.
Temp is turned to CLEAN position.
Handle is pushed all the way to the right.
ENTER is pushed twice and AUTO appears in display.
No lights appear (oven,lock,clean)
If I turn temp knob back to 500 degrees the LOCK light comes on,handle locks, and oven heats. I can turn it back to CLEAN and the lock light goes out and the oven unlocks.
The display still shows it in AUTO mode
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Rufus Baldwin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your oven From what you are explaining you have a faulty oven control #14.If the oven works ok on the bake and broil option..I would not use the self clean..More so on a unit this old..As the control is a very expensive fix..On yours the part is no longer available..I recommend to all my customers not to even use the self clean.The extreme amount of heat produced can and will damage the components of the oven.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I find that hard to believe since every part of the oven control seems to work perfectly. Is it possible that it could be one of the solenoids or one of the switch latches?
If the door lock is moving then there is not a problem with the door lock assembly..This unit also has a oven selector separate from the computer correct..? If so and you are saying when you move from self clean to oven temperature of 500 the stove works..This would tell me the problem is within that selector switch.I would replace the switch first..Problem is this part is also unavailable.