Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Whirlpool Side-by-side Refrigerator It is making a knocking

Customer Question

Whirlpool Side-by-side Refrigerator
It is making a knocking sound

tap, tap, tap in the door -freezer side I think, bout every 45 minutes--makes me nuts! HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model #EDSNAXNT01 Serial SR28227401

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There are some numbers missing in the model. I cannot get a diagram up

Does the noise sound like the dispenser flap opening and closing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Numbers again- Model ED5NHAXNT01 Serial SR2827401

No , it does not sound like a flap opening--just tap, tap, tap,tap

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
At the top of the freezer door is a hinge cover. Remove that hinge cover and disconnect the connector there. Wait a while and see if the sound returns. When you are sure you have waited long enough for it to not reoccur come back and give me a shout. And of course if it does return there will be no need to wait longer.
This will narrow the possibilities considerably. If you need to go offline save this page to your favorites. As soon as you post I will know it. I will be here 6 more hours today.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I took the icemaker flap off, I'll see if that stops it--shouldn't take much longer.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will be here,,,thanks.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I haven't forgotten about you. I set a timer for an hour, (I had to leave for an appointment earlier) and I haven't heard any tapping---soooo, I'm thinking the "little man in the refrigerator" is gone! HOORAY! So guess I will leave the cover off? What is causing it to do that if I put it back on. It just started doing this about 3 month ago-why now and not before???

Geneva

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geneva, nice to meet you.

You cannot leave it that way as it will cause other problems. What you can do is put the cover back on and disconnect the wire harness to the door if the noise continues. I think you may have jiggled the paddle just enough to get the switch fully in the off position. If you find the noise returns you will need to replace the switch so UNPLUG THE UNIT before you start. Take a small screw driver and pry the corners where the 2 slots are under the dispenser. Once you get the bottom loose just lift straight up to remove it from the door. Be sure to mark your wires so you can get them back where they belong later and sit that part aside. From this point you can see the screws that need to come out to get to the switch. The slots are arrowed green in the diagram and the switch is arrowed red

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here