Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold electric oven. Recently the oven light

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold electric oven. Recently the oven light won't turn off ... and so I've had to unscrew it. As it turns out, the other one won't turn on (at all). I don't know if these are related issues. How can I get this oven light working properly again (I'm not too concerned about the one not working at all - one is all we need.)

Please help!

With appreciation,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker around the frame of the dishwasher and can be seen if you open up the door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an oven, not a dishwasher ... the only # that I can around the door frame is this:

9752835A

Hope that helps,

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
sorry I don't know why I said dishwasher, I meant oven. Either way--that number you gave isn't the model number, can you look again--it's important to get the specific model number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've searched high and low and cannot find anything else! What next?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
well, if the lights are on all the time or not turning on at all, either your display control board is shorted and not sending power to the lights or sending power all the time, or the door switch is bad. Once of them will need to be replaced, but you'll need a model number to order the correct part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since one light is on ALL the time and the other doesn't work at all, your answer cannot be correct. Power cannot be being sent all the time, nor can the door switch be bad. There must be something else wrong - but weird that this started out of the blue. What I would like to know is whether I can open up the back/panel and easily fix the problem - is this something you have dealt with before? I saw this question asked on the internet with no answer - so I am not the only one that has had this problem.

Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
it can be correct. There are different relays on the control board and yes BOTH latches can be bad. It's not as likely as the control board being bad but either way, if the light bulbs are good those are the ONLY two options period.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - I'm not looking for a theoretical answer ... what I need is a step-by-step approach to check what is wrong and fix the problem. What I expected to get was: open the back panel on the stove and tighten a loose wire. Problem solved.

No offense, but I can call Whirlpool and order a part without your help. I am paying money for your service to avoid calling in the problem and fix the issue on my own. I thought it could be done, but maybe not.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
if there was a loose wire, then that wouldn't cause the light to stay on all the time. No offense but not everything just has a "reset" button. Sometimes and MOST times parts need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One wire loose, one wire not? Additional problem with the panel perhaps - still unclear. Not sure, but I will tackle this on my own by taking off the back panel of the stove and call Whirlpool if I cannot see the issue. Unfortunately, this service did not assist me today.

Regards.