Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Im trying to change the Pump Gasket on a Kenmore dishwasher.

I'm trying to change the Pump Gasket on a Kenmore dishwasher. (Model # XXXXX)
I've taken out everything I can on the inside of the washer. Now as I try to get underneath I've disconnected the drain hose.
Now what?
Is there anyway to get at the gasket without taking out the whole dishwasher?
Thanks for the help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
Can I have the complete model # XXXXX

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, that number is: 665.16782300
Are you refering to the large gasket that seals around the outside of the pamp housing ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, in this case model #661633
Ok there are four twist tabs under the dishwasher that hold the motor in they are part # XXXXX in this breakdown.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom,
So if I twist those tabs, the base pump (#25 in the drawing) will come free?
Yes the whole thing will lift out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not budging, but maybe I'm not using enough force.
Should I grab it with a vise grip?
Whats not budging ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, the base pump, #25 is not budging.
You have released all four twist tabs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they all turned easily.
Ok its just stuck wiggle the motor back and forth that should free it up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom,
While I was waiting I did clamp on to it with the vise grips and with a few tugs in a few different places I managed to dislodge it. However the whole motor remains attached to the base pump
I was thinking that just the base pump would come up and then I would put in the gasket someplace. (Although it doesen't really show where to put it on that drawing you attached)
What should I do next?
The gasket attachs to part # XXXXX in the pic I sent there is a groobve in the gasket that goes on the housing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom,
So does the base pump, (part # XXXXX) seperate from the motor, or do I need to take the motor out too in order to replace the gasket?
Ok when I call up the part # XXXXX is the gasket that seals the pump housing to the bottom of the dishwasher it is about 8 inches across is this right. Just double checking we are talking about the same thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yep that's right.
I have a new one in front of me still in the bag. 8 inches across from rim to rim on the top. Also included in the bag is a clear plastic ring with about the same thickness as a cable tie. Its diameter is roughly 7 1/2 inches.
Ok if you remove the old gasket you will be able to see how the new one fits on. It just pulls off. You can do this without removeing the whole thing out of the dishwasher.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still have no seperation of the base pump, (#25) and the motor (#26).
Perhaps this is normal.
I guess I will just disconnect the wires from the motor and pull the whole thing up through the hole so I can get at it.
I'm assuming then that the gasket will slide up from the bottom of the motor into place.
Does this seem like the best way to go about it?
Yes it is the best way to do the job. You do not remove the motor from the pump housing it comes out as one piece.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay Tom, thanks a bunch.
I got the wires disconnected and the motor out.
I took the old gasket off, but see no place for the clear plastic ring included with the new one.
Any idea where that might go?
Thanks
That would go inside the groove on the gasket.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay yes,
The plastic ring fits around the gasket to secure it in place.
There wasn't one on the original one.

I guess I've taken enough of your time Tom.
But before I go, any preventive maintenance I should do to the motor as long as I have it out?
There is nothing to do other then make sure it is clean. Not full of lint and dust just blow it out.

If this has been helpfull please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much Tom for all of your help.
It wasn't super complicated. Just that simple trick of turning those tabs was huge!
Thanks for your patience too.
I guess if I get it all back together and it still leaks I'll just get a new dishwasherSmile
Thanks again and have a great day.
You are very welcome.

Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience