gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

We have an Arctica GE Profile PSS25NGNA BB side by side refrigerator

Customer Question

We have an Arctica GE Profile PSS25NGNA BB side by side refrigerator that's about 8 years old. Just recently, we noticed the refrigerator was colder than the setting. Even after putting the temperature setting very warm, the refrigerator was still too cold. What's causing this to happen?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.

gst85 :

hi there

Customer :

HI

gst85 :

hi ,so it still freezing even after you have lowered the temperature correct

Customer :

the refrigerator hasn't frozen anything solid yet, but ice crystals are forming on the food.

Customer :

The temperature reads around 30 degrees inside regardless of where we set it.

gst85 :

ok i see ,give me just a few minites,im taking a look at some parts that may be the problem ,

Customer :

sure

Customer :

this site keeps showing you as jumping in and out of the chat. Is that your connection or mine ?

gst85 :

ni sir ,im still here lol

Customer :

curious.

gst85 :

when you adjust the settings ,does it stay there ,or does it jump back

Customer :

the setting remains where we place it.

gst85 :

and can you hear it running longer than usual

Customer :

I haven't paid attention to that. It doesn't seem to be but again, I have not been listening for that.

gst85 :

ok and one question can you see any frost build up in the freezer wall

Customer :

The freezer maintains proper temperature, only the refrigerator is too cold.

Customer :

no frost build up on the freezer walls.

gst85 :

your fridge does not have a timer like the older models.in this case you have a circuit board,that is basically .your timer .

Customer :

yes, as far as I know, it has a circuit board.

gst85 :

so i think replacing the circuit board will tke care of your problem

gst85 :

if it had a manual timer it would be much easier

Customer :

is there any chance it's related to the damper between the freezer and refrigerator ?

Customer :

I don't know where to find the damper but if it's stuck open, then the refrigerator would be getting too much cold air. right?

gst85 :

now that would have been my second thought ,.what setting do you have it now

gst85 :

yes

Customer :

setting for what ?

Customer :

refrigerator temp?

gst85 :

look in the top left

gst85 :

the damper

Customer :

hang on

gst85 :

sure

Customer :

sorry, what exactly am I looking for ? the damper or the freezer temp?

gst85 :

the damper.vent

Customer :

it's in the top left of the refrigerator?

Customer :

inside?

gst85 :

yes

Customer :

ok, brb

gst85 :

sure

Customer :

i really can't see a damper. on the side of the refrigerator is a small, oval cover with vent slots (maybe 2.5" long and 1.5" high). that's all I can see unless the damper is behind the cover at the rear that dresses out the water filter etc. atea.

Customer :

area.. sry

gst85 :

tha would be the vent

gst85 :

can you feel air coming oout

Customer :

i'd have to feel more closely.. can you wait a sec?

gst85 :

sure

Customer :

it does not look like that at all!!

Customer :

i'd send a pic but don't see how on thsi site. let me check the 'vent' device I can see.

gst85 :

ok

gst85 :

Damper and Fan Assembly - Part #1055112
Full Size Image
this would e it ,but i only got a picture from the top

Customer :

i can't tell. sry

Customer :

is there somewhere I can get a detailed drawing of this unit to identify where the damper would be. your last pic could be it if it's behind the housing cover I mentioned before.

gst85 :

i really do believe that this will be your problem

gst85 :

would a diagram help you

Customer :

Yes, I'm still not sure where to find it. There's covers on the back that form a large area including the water filter housing.

gst85 :

do you think you can replace it yourself

gst85 :

www.sears parts direct.com.

gst85 :

do you have anymore questions for me

Customer :

nope, I'll try sears and see if they have a drawing. Ty.

gst85 :

ok pressing accept pays me

Customer :

got it thx

gst85 :

thank you

gst85 :

sure

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs