S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My old and reliable GE dryer, a DDE 5300 VELAD, a front loader,

My old and reliable GE dryer, a DDE 5300 VELAD, a front loader, just stopped working. It has power. I checked breakers and cleaned out all the lint could find fore and aft. I stopped the dryer midcycle drying a few towels (3, not an overload) and when I turned it back on drum would not turn. I have tried to make it turning by rotating it manually under power and it does move on its own, though I can turn the barrel counterclockwise manually. I want to know exactly what I remove in the back of the machine to check the belt or whatever turns the drum and what I am looking for. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. the easiest way to check this belt is to lift the top. Open the door and there are screws under the top edge of the door opening. they will either be philips or torx. remove these and lift the fron of the top. What does the dryer doo when the start button is pushed?

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

control panel is on top of this model. there are two bolts in back that would release the top of the machine along with the phillips head screws along the front, but the panel on top is probably not going to want to let me lift the top off...

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

the dryer motor hums, as if it is trying to turn the drum, but it is not turning the drum, though it did until I stopped the cycle and tried to restart it just before I asked you this question.

S.E.Thomas :

no you do not want to remove those. only the screws under the front edge

S.E.Thomas :

the top will then hinge up on the rear

S.E.Thomas :

how long has the dryer sat since you shut it off?

S.E.Thomas :

this is not a bad belt

S.E.Thomas :

are you there

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

the dryer has sat for an hour now

S.E.Thomas :

is it still just humning?

S.E.Thomas :

the problem is the start windings in the motor are going bad or are now bad

S.E.Thomas :

sometimes when the motor cools down it will start back up. if it does not then the motor needs to be replaced

S.E.Thomas :

are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

not much to see except the drum when I lift up the top, what is in back must run the thing.

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

I don't think it is going to start up again, since it has cooled and I have tried to start it

S.E.Thomas :

no. the belt is that thin black belt in the middle of the drum

S.E.Thomas :

if it was bad it would lift right out of the dryer

S.E.Thomas :

even if the belt was broke the dryer would still run.

S.E.Thomas :

this is a bad motor

S.E.Thomas :

to get to the motor you now need to remove the front and then the drum. im not sure that you want to replace the motor in this dryer due to the age of the unit and the cost of the motor. how much are you willing to spend to fix it?

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

I figure it would be worth spending a hundred dollars beyond this to fix it

S.E.Thomas :

the cost of this motor is showing $299

S.E.Thomas :

would you like me to explain how to change the motor ?

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

This is probably a lost case, as interested in knowing how to do this as I am, it is probably worth having a new one installed, since it is upstairs in a ski house and not always used...thanks for your help, and if you have a really quick explanation of how to replace the motor, I would be fascinated.

S.E.Thomas :

ok, first on the rear of the dryer in the center, there is a small square plate with 5/16 screws. you need to remove that cover and then the E clip on the shaft and the washers behind it. that is the only thing you need to remove from the rear at this time. back to the front, with the top lifted there are 2 screws, one on each side, inside the dryer about 3 inches down holding the front on. remove those. at the very bottom of the front there are 2 more 5/16 screws one on each side, just loosen these ones and the dryer front will lift up off of them. now you can slide the drum out to the front sliding the belt off to the rear of the drum. the drum is tight coming out but it will slide out.

S.E.Thomas :

at this point the motor will be fully exposed and can easily be removed.

S.E.Thomas :

once the motor is installed and you put all of this back in reverse order, you will need to remove the larger black metal panel at the bottom of the rear to reinstall the belt around the idler and motor pulley.

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

Sounds like fun, if you were getting paid for it, and you had done it before, and you did not have a wife going crazy about messing up her house....thanks, XXXXX XXXXX getting that little belt on and off looks difficult...

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

I can just order the motor online, yes?

S.E.Thomas :

Just keep in mind that this dryer is pretty old and the heating element for this unit is not cheap and has been discontinued from ge. yes you can order this at www.appliancepartspros.com or appliancezone.com which ever is cheaper.

JACUSTOMER-c9x98mhp- :

Bye, Shaun, thanks

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance