Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a Waste King, gourmet series, model 111 under my kitchen

I have a Waste King, gourmet series, model 111 under my kitchen sink. The disposal stopped working and now water drains very slowly if at all as of this morning. I found the reset button in front but other than producing some humming momentarily, it did nothing. I am assuming it is seized up. When I asked for advice at Costco, I was told about the allen wrench to free up the propellars, but just learned on a web site that there is no mechanism on Waste King to use a allen wrench to free up the system. What should I do?
Thank you XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your disposal...If you cannot find the hex area to use the tool..Then turn power off to unit..Take a long flat tip screw driver and a flashlight..SHine the light down the disposal...Turn the chopper manually with the screwdriver..Then try restarting..If you do not have a long enough screwdriver..Take a broom handle and spin the chopper.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the hex area and what tool would be required?
Remove the inspection plate at the bottom..There is one nut holding it on...This will expose the motor shaft..If there is not a place to put the hex tool then yes you will need to access from the top by spinning in the matter i just replied to you on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will run home from the office and try this . If successf I will finish this transaction...Byron

You will succeed with either method i suggested..Also once you use the accept option today..Pleas stop by and leave some feedback for my time helping you on your question..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bob

I removed the bottom plate and there was only wiring with no insertion hole in which to place a hex tool. Looking down into the drain, after I plunged the water out of the secondary sink, I could see a flat metal bottom with two circular patterns on each side, which I assume are the choppers, and they had a small upright lip on which I could gain purchase with the screwdriver. I finally got them both to move, but when I reapplied power, hit the reset bottom and turned on the unit, nothing changed. All I get is a hum for about 10 seconds before it trips again. I turned the water on again and it still wil not drain. If you think I should have someone look at this let me know. I do not want to waste your time If I cannot fix it...Byron

Are you still with us..?
Ok good i see you are online...If the choppers are not spinning and the disposal motor is turning then you have a broken shaft in the disposal..Cheaper to replace. Thanks Bob
.
.
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair