S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

Still working on my Maytag dishwasher, model mdb6000aww that

Still working on my Maytag dishwasher, model mdb6000aww that wouldn't drain. I took the entire pump assembly apart, cleaned everything, and reassembled the whole thing. The problem hasn't changed. Is there anything in the motor (a switch or a clutch, for example) that would allow it to run in one direction and not the other? When it enters the drain cycle, it hums for a little while and wires start getting overheated. I'm about ready to just replace it, but I already have $150 invested in repairs. Please let me know if you have any ideas beyond what's already been tried. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. If the motor just hums when it gets to the spin then the start windings of the motor are bad. you need a new motor.

JACUSTOMER-ckw8wvgg- :

That's what I was afraid of. Would you recommend replacing the motor or the whole machine?

S.E.Thomas :

i would replace the dishwasher. this is an expensive repair.

JACUSTOMER-ckw8wvgg- :

OK. Thanks.

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome.