S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

I have a whirlpool gas free standing range, model SF379LEK-I

I have a whirlpool gas free standing range, model SF379LEK-I tried to use the self-clean part of it today-would not work-F5 came up on the display and now the oven door will not unlock-I tried to hold the start button for 5 seconds but did not work-can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. You are missing a letter in the model number. Where you have the - there should be a letter. It will be B,Q,S,T,V, or S. please check so i know exactly what we are looking at. The f5 is the code for a bad controller. is the code just F5 or is there something else flashing as well?

Customer :

There is no other number on the cover of my owners manual-there are two model numbers-hte one I gave you -also SF380LEK-it also says e1

S.E.Thomas :

you can not take the model numbers for appliances off of owners manuals ever. the manuals are made for numerous different models. you need to get it off of the model/serial plate of the unit. On a free standing range this is usually found with the drawer open on the frame leg.

S.E.Thomas :

please let me know when you can be online to resolve this issue.

S.E.Thomas :

It is much easier and faster to find the problem if you can be online with me.

S.E.Thomas :

i will be here for a little while yet tonight. tomorrow my son has a wrestling match at 530 so i will not be available till around 8pm est.

S.E.Thomas :

hello!!

S.E.Thomas :

are you able to chat a little?

S.E.Thomas :

Are you there?

Customer :

Yes-the model number off the stove is F379LEKT

S.E.Thomas :

ok.

S.E.Thomas :

how about the code?

Customer :

what code?

S.E.Thomas :

is it just F5? or does something else flash with it

S.E.Thomas :

you said you have an F5 code

Customer :

e1 also flashes

S.E.Thomas :

ok that makes a huge difference. please give me one min.

S.E.Thomas :

The board is saying that the door latch is bad. you say that the door is locked right now correct?

Customer :

yes

S.E.Thomas :

i am guessing that you have tried to press the cancel key correct?

Customer :

yes-it just beeps

S.E.Thomas :

The first thing i would like you to try is turning the power off to the unit for 5 min. You can do this by unpluging the unit or turning the breaker off. Which ever is easier for you to do. please do this and let me know what happens.

Customer :

I did that earlier-it did the same thing

S.E.Thomas :

You did leave it off for a min of 5 min correct?

Customer :

I left it off for about 20 minutes

S.E.Thomas :

If you press the clean button again does it just beep also?

Customer :

yes

S.E.Thomas :

ok. pick any key on the control and hold it down for one min till you get a F2 code. When you get the f2 code press cancel one time.

S.E.Thomas :

let me know if the lock does anything.

Customer :

no F2- I held down one key-looks like the letters cal on the screen

S.E.Thomas :

do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Customer :

i DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS

Customer :

I'll have to conotinue this tomorrow-thanks anyway.

S.E.Thomas :

It is a tester that checks for voltage and continuity. This is needed to test the door switch and the door lock switch. it sounds like you have a bad control board but you need to test these switches first so your not just throwing money away as these boards are not cheap. The control for this unit is around $200. The switch is only around $40.

S.E.Thomas :

?

S.E.Thomas :

did you get that message?

Customer :

yes-I'll check with my son-in-law to see if he has one.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance