Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

GE Profile Dishwasher with Smart Dispense not getting dishes

Customer Question

GE Profile Dishwasher with Smart Dispense not getting dishes and glasses clean. Plenty of detergent. Tried different detergents and using regular. Also tried using the regular dispenser. When purchased new two years ago, it worked great, but not now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

How much water is in the bottom of the unit once it stops filling in the beginning of the cycle? In inches if you can. Just start the machine let it fill in when it's done filling open the door and check the water level, also can you get me the full model number of this unit? It should be on the inside on one of the walls

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mod: PDW8600N20WW. Water is 1/2 inch deep
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay that's your problem, you're not getting enough water you to get at least one a half inches of water or more like 2 inches of water in this in order for to clean correctly, you need to check two things, one the float assembly, this is inside the dishwasher you need to lift that up-and-down make sure it's moving freely, you should hear a click from the float switch when you do this, the other thing if the float is clear and moves freely than the water valve is bad, and would need to be replaced you are not getting enough water in the allotted time that the timer gives to fill, do you have low water pressure in your home? If so that could be the issue also, but it's definitely a water issue, you can order all the parts for this @ link thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! Can you tell me where I can find the float assembly, please?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes I can, it's under part number 302 in this diagram, it's on the left side of the inside of the dishwasher, there will be a 1/4 inch screw holding part number 302 in, the float is number 305, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I removed the cover from the float. It appears to be working forrectly. In fact, the water is not even getting high enough to reach the float assembly. Must be the water valve. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
You're so welcome, you water valve is most likely the issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to bug you again. If I order a valve from the link you provided, will it come with instructions on how to locate and remove the old valve and how to install the new one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
its pretty simple, remove the bottom panel(access panel) under the door and the valve will be on the left side underneath it will have one plug for the power and two water lines one will be a copper one coming from under the sink you need to disconnect that one (make sure you shut the water off under the sink first) then take the two screws and holding the valve to frame and pull the valve down there will be a rubber hose connected to it with a clamp just release clamp pull the hose off and install the new valve, that's it, thanks, Bryan