Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The GE profile 36inch gas cooktop will not light. When cooktop

The GE profile 36inch gas cooktop will not light. When cooktop knobs are turned to lite, the spark igniter does not make a series of electric sparks (ticking sounds) to light the burner. Turning it to lite will let the gas through and it can be lighted with a match. In the beginning the ticking sounds were audible, now they are not, just a very faint noise. I watched the video and put a thin wire down the tiny hole to clear it and wiped around the spark igniters, still did not work. Could you help?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay the model number is XXXXX coming up, you need to look under the unit and it should be a white tag with the model number on it if this is a downdraft it may be on the downdraft system or on the bottom of the unit itself can you look and see if you get me that number? Thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX

Serial RZ778572Q

Okay great, you need to replace the spark module,it's part number 999 on this diagram, it's under the top so you will need to remove the sealed burners(there are screws holding them) and lift the top to get to this, you can order this@ thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan, thank you for the information. I will have to call a repair tecnician in to do this but wonder if I can print out your findings. Taking the cooktop apart etc. is not in my area of expertise. I will then accept your answer. Will there be a confirmation of the charges sent to my e-mail address. Am a bit apprehensive about giving out credit card info etc. without a receipt as to what was charged.