Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Danby Designer compact all-fridge, model DAR340BL,

Customer Question

I have a Danby Designer® compact all-fridge, model DAR340BL, with a capacity of 3.3 cu. ft purchased new in July 2010 that I keep in my office. I had not opened the refrigerator from December 22 but opened it yesterday. Last night I received a call from the janitor saying that the refrigerator had leaked a puddle of water approximately 3 feet in diameter onto the floor. When I got to the office I found that not only was there a sizable puddle on the floor but the drip pan above the compressor was overflowing. The manual states that the water in the drip pan should evaporate because it is permanently affixed above the compressor. I unplugged the refrigerator because I won't be back in my office until next week. My question: what would cause all that water to collect?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

was the refrigerator still cold?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. The compressor was warm, the interior of the refrigerator was still cold and the cans of seltzer were cold as well
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
there is very little info on this unit, is this an automatic defrost? its not showing a defrost timer in it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no freezer in the unit, the manual covers three models, and I am not sure about the automatic defrost. The only way to moderate the temperature in the refrigerator is a dial outside the unit on the back. That was turned to the halfway point.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok it sound like for some reason this defrosted all at once and the water overflowed the pan. even without a freezer section the coils frost thats why they have a pan to catch the water I cant find any wiring diagram for this. you may have a problem with the start relay on the compressor, in any case you would need to call for service unfortunately, you can try letting it sit and then Monday plug it in and watch it for the week, there may have been a power outage you are not aware off that caused this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! I had researched all the same things and had come up with the same conclusions that you did.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, thanks Bryan