Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My ge profile PS123NCP refrigerator keeps freezing my food

My ge profile PS123NCP refrigerator keeps freezing my food and I have to keep throwing it out. I constantly try to adjust the temp by pushing the "warmer" digital button on the upper right rim moving the temp to 37 degrees, but within a second or two is returns to the freezing temp of 32 or lower. I even turned the dial on the back of the interior, above the drawers, to "cold" as opposed to "coldest" but the temp keep going down below freezing. What am I doing wrong? What can I do? I'm frantic about the food situation, the refrigerator is only 6 years old!! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Harry, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Have you tried unplugging the unit for 5 minutes? Try that and see if it will reset the board.

Let me know,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, I don't quite know how to unplug it, as it is beyond my ability to move it and it is located in a NYc galley kitchen within a wooden built-in "cubicle." I suppose I could ask a handyman or two from my building if they would be willing to try to move it out so I could get to the plug. Perhaps I have a specific circuit breaker for the refrigerator? and would that be the same as unplugging it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes you could cut the breaker that would be fine

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will go into the kitchen and see if there is a way to discover which breaker it is; I guess I could try each one in turn and wait to see which one makes the refrigerator light go out? Then leave that one off for 5 minutes, before turning it back on? This will take a few minutes, so I guess I just keep this web page up until I'm finished?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes that will work, please take your time.
You can save this page to your favorites and return at anytime. Just thought you might want to know.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'll be back when I learn if I can find the circuit breaker.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
No problem I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I've dont it, breaker (and regfrigerator) was off 5 minutes. When I switched it back on the refrig. temp was up to 38 and the freezer to 5 degrees. How will I know if the problem has been corrected? And how long will it take for me to know this?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
We can wait a while if its ok with you. If you have things you need to do you can return later. I do have 2 other questions.

If you have the fridge door open for a while does the temperature go up but then slowly return to 32?

Have you ever raised or changed the freezer temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
question 2 first: yes I have occasionally changed to freezer temp, via the button sensors, either up or down to 0 degrees.

question 1: Yes, I believe that when door is open it goes up, but then goes back to 32 degrees, BUT NOT SLOWLY, NECESSARILY, BECAUSE THIS MORNING THE INSTANT I REMOVED MY FINGER FROM THE WARMER BUTTON ON 37, IT INSTANTLY WENT BACK TO 32.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The readout is showing you the actual temperature. When you press the button it is showing where you are adjusting the temperature to. Then when you release the button it goes back to showing the actual temperature again.

Not saying there is not something wrong by no means. I have a really good idea of whats going on. We just have to get the resetting out of the way first. Then I will know for sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I just checked. 15 minutes after I turned the frig back on, the freezer temp was 6 and the frig was 38, so as per your suggestion I set the temp colder in freezer to 0 and in refrig to 37 and shut the door. How long til I check it again?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I would wait at least 30 minutes. Do you have other things you need to do?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I'll check temp again at 9 a.m. and make a report to you immediately. Will you still be here at 9:05? Thank you
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Oh yes I am here for the next 13 hours. I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I just checked the temps at 9 a.m. (half hour after setting them to 37 and 0, (they had been at 38 and 6 after off for 5 minutes)), and now they have dropped to
36 and 4. Will they keep going lower--I certainly dont want the refrig temp to go any lower, as it's already 1 degree lower than I set it.?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Right I understand. Your damper is stuck open or broken and open allowing the air to flow freely from the freezer and its going to until the freezer reaches zero where you set it.

I have the damper assembly arrowed in the diagram below. You will have to get it out of the top of the fresh food section to see if its only frozen stuck and not broken.

Let me know,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, I see the damper assembly in your diagram, but not sure where it is in the refrigerator or the freezer? and by "get it out" do you mean actually remove it? and do I need any tools to do that, assuming that I can locate it (I'll go have a look now to see if I can eyeball it)?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
It looks like its part of the light assembly but if you look really close you can see that it is a separate part. It fits right to the top rear of your fridge side with a section that runs over toward the left wall in the top rear. You will need to tape the light switch off or cut the breaker because the lights get really hot.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I looked for it in the refrigerator side, but everything looked smooth in the back of the compartment, and I have no idea what to remove? I checked the freezer section and in the upper right side wall there was a rectangular opening/hole. Currently the temps are
32 and 1.

I'll go and see if I can find it and I'm not sure I know how to tape the light switch off
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If you look around the frame of the refrigerator you will see a switch that gets depressed when the door closes. That will cut the light off. You may want to go ahead and cut the refrigerator off too because if its running it will pull that moisture into the cooling coils of the freezer.

Give me a minute and I will fix the diagram up to help you disassemble it the best I can.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
In the diagram I have arrowed the parts that need to come off. I circled the one I am not sure about but I am pretty sure you need to remove that as well. The green arrow is the damper assembly.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, I have found the light switch (the least of my problems) and I can tape it off, but if I turn circuit breaker off then all kitchen lights go off and I can't see to work in the refrig.

Also, the back part of refrigerator I see a smooth case called climate keeper, which I have no idea how to remove (esp. as there is a smooth sleeve over the upper right hand side of it). Also I am unable to remove the light case, although I was able to take the screw out, but tried to push in prongs on front left and right of case to pull down, but it wasn't successful and I didnt want to pull down too hard and crack the light case.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I believe that thing hinges toward the rear and think there is a catch on the front end of it. It has been a while since I have done one but I believe that is correct. Also look along the sides of it just to double check me.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By "that thing" you are referring to the LIGHT CASE or the CLIMATE KEEPER?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry about that. I have been trying to break myself of that habit. I mean the light case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I managed to get the light case off (not sure if I will be able to get it back on however!). What next. Behind it is the climate keeper, smooth T-shaped case, which seems to fit snug onto the back of the compartment. Do I try to pry that off somehow? I'm afraid it will crack. Behind the light assembly, there are 2 rectangular holes on either side of something (maybe the light asssembly itself, or maybe the climate keeper?)
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The light assembly is next, 2 of the screws in that assembly hold the damper cover. (arrowed green)

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, Barry, I think I found them: 2 metal screws at the TOP rear of the light assembly. I doubt I have the tool(s) or skill to remove them. And then what happens if I do remove them, what next. Already I'm afraid I'll not be able to get light shade back on. As you might imagine, I'm not at all adept with tools or fixing things, and I usually depend on other people to do these things for me. I don't want to get in over my head and end up with something I cant get back together!!! I foolishly assumed that this problem might be some minor adjustment on the easily available controls. Even if I managed to get screws out and climate keeper assembly removed, what then would I be able to do? Advice?? should I summon a building handyman or get a ge repairman (and how to do that and how long would I have to wait?) help
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
If I was worried I would get someone else to do the rest. The next part is to come up the rear. That is panel number 200 in the drawing. Then you can access the last 2 screws.

Once you get that off its a matter of making sure the damper assembly is dry and that it moves freely.
Reinstall and give it a run to see how it does.

What do you think?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, you've been great, but I've spent almost all morning and the most I'VE been able to do is to get the light shade off! All the rest scares me and makes me believe I need an expert to check things out and make repairs if necessary--and as soon as possible!! How do I go about securing an expert, as soon as possible, and do you know what the charge will be (I'm sure it's off warranty, over 6 years since installed). I'd appreciate if you can help me get someone who really knows how to proceed and at the earliest date--and my schedule is terribly busy. Thanks a lot, Harry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Harry I would be happy to locate a GE tech for you if I can,,,I certainly will try. May I have your street address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Barry.
My address is: 70 East 10th Street (corner of 10th St. and Broadway), Apt 20C,
New York, NY,NNN-NN-NNNNbr /> Telephone XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Oh its no problem,,give me some time.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, and by the way, although my problem hasn't been solved yet, I've "enjoyed" the past
4 hours of back and forth messages--new to me, as I'm almost as much a nebbish with computers as with repairs. You've been remarkably precise in what you have been able to explain to me, the rest is MY inexperience.

I await your arrangements and I'll get my calendar to find my spotty free time.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you that is quite a compliment. I have to say you have been very patient and understanding. And I enjoy helping people.

This is what to do. Because the area you live in is so large I first had a difficult time locating anyone near you and that did not happen. So I just called to see if GE the company was open. And they are. So this is what to do.
Call 1-800-432-2737 follow the menu which would be press 1 wait for the robot to stop talking press 2 and the next would be 3. Put your zip in 10003 and then you will be with a live person who is familiar with your area and will help you set an appointment.

I did the best I could have a nice Saturday afternoon.
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.