S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

the inside of my Defy self cleaning fridge ices up completely

the inside of my Defy 'self cleaning' fridge ices up completely every two or three days with thick thick ice. I am fed up defrosting it. What is causing this? The two freezers on the other side of the fridge are fine. Any ideas?

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. The problem is one of three things. 1) the defrost element is bad (This is most likely) 2) The defrost thermostat is bad. 3) the defrost timer is bad. (This is the least likely) to test the element, remove the rear cover and unplug the one wire on each side and test the element for continuity. you do the exact same to test the thermostat. ( the thermostat must be below 32 degrees when testing, above 32 it will not have continuity.)