Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

i have a maytag french door refrigerator. the control panel

Customer Question

i have a maytag french door refrigerator. the control panel locked after an extended attempt to get water. (no manual on/off switch on panel) followed the sequence to reboot pe then verify the code then open door panel still locked any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using CLICK HERE for the service manual. Page 36 gives you specific instruction on reprogramming the control.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok followed those instructions all functions on the reset work as discribed code was correct. tried pushing door alarm button for 3 seconds to complete sequence, no change tried opening door to end sequence no change tried changing code off correct setting then bact to correct setting no change.

Followed service test sequence as discribed in manual all seems to be working correctly. any suggestions? entire panel seems to be locked, no ice or water features will work but under service sequence watter worked on test

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Is the dispenser lock on? I am having trouble pulling up a User's Manual but there should be a button to push and hold to lock and unlock the dispenser. Usually they have a padlock icon or the word "lock" written by or above it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no there is no separate lock feature other blogs indicate a safe feature to prevent flooding that is auto that requies a reset sequence have followed that with 0 results
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
The reprogram should have reset that. I am trying to locate program info through Service Flashes that went through this...may take a bit. In the meantime, directly under the Door Alarm button is the panel lock/unlock and hold and let me know what happens.

Edited by Town & Country Appliance Service on 1/13/2011 at 1:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am wondering if there is a reprogram/update service set that needs to be installed? the machine seems to be cooling and freezing just fine just no door controls, no ice no water none of the buttons work, thanks for workin on it
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Note: If dispenser is active for more than five

minutes, an automatic lock out sensor will shut

down power to dispenser area. See Dispenser

Lock/Unlock for unlocking information.

Dispenser Lock/Unlock

The Dispenser Lock/Unlock affects all

keypad functions.

To Lock Dispenser:

• Press and hold the Lock/Unlock button for three

seconds. A green indicator light above the button will

illuminate when the dispenser is locked.

To Unlock Dispenser:

• Hold the Lock/Unlock button for three seconds. The

green indicator light above will go out

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no lock/unlock button read previous thread!
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Strange...the Owner's Manual shows may not be labeled. Push about 1" directly below the Door Alarm may be a hidden button. Feel around for should be able to feel it depress.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if its there its not obvious about 1 inche below door alarm is "Temp alarm button" fyi
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we have a pdf copy now of the owners manual and have tried all the set up sequences to reset the touch panel. It was stuck with door alarm lit and the light for the water/ice dispenser on and we can't get it to shut off except while running diagnostic test as listed in the manual but when done light is still on with the touch panel unresponsive just beeps
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

It appears that the control is faulty. You have done everything to reset and reprogram. I have gone through the service bulletins regarding this and we have done everything there is to do. My recommendation is to replace the control. Given the history of failure with these, I see no other option. We have reset all there is to reset and programmed all there is to program. I can't remember if you said you power cycled the unit, but if you have not, unplug for about 5 minutes then plug back in. If still no change, replace number 35 in the picture, located in the rear of the refrigerator. Part available HERE.

Edited by Town & Country Appliance Service on 1/13/2011 at 4:51 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my fridge control panel does not look like the one pictured in the manual

light *door freezer fridge max

sensor alarm + - + - cool

Temp on/off humid

alarm 3sec control

reset auto/on*

filter light

water cube

the asterix are what are lit, the light on the dispenser are where ice and water come out is stuck on, I cannot get any thing but a beep when I try to hit cube or water or any other function like turn light to auto when in service mode I can get the water and light to function during the test but the fridge skips right over test #182 I think it was when I went thru the whole list in the manual . what does that mean?

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

I suspect the main control. The controls on the dispenser are low voltage switching controls only. They are only the user interface for the main control. All functions get their signal and power from the main control. Post your complete model AND serial number....I want to search specifically for that series and see if anything comes up that way.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well the format layout i tried to send you did not display as i typed it :)

My model number is XXXXX MFI2266AEU ser #10364644NC

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Nothing new....model shows same as I looked up. My thought is control....there really is nothing else that would cause the unit o resist all programming and resets.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was able to locate the correct sequence to unlock the panel on my own.

I will be requesting a refund but here is the solution I found:

there is a safety built in to prevent flooding and is activated when water is depressed for too long a period

reset pe code to 0000 and save.
then reset pe code to correct #(*mine was 1515) and save
plug back in and safety is reset all features operate normally
thanks for the attempt----funny the service manual does not list this procedure.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Well, thanks for the update! I learned something, thanks! I will put your question in for refund of your deposit. Thanks again for passing that info along!