Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Magic Chef Freezer (MCUF7W) quit working. It humms and clicks

My Magic Chef Freezer (MCUF7W) quit working. It humms and clicks like its working, but no cold inside box. The Round Black Metal container (Compressor??) in the bottom back of the unit gets really HOT also. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Well it could very well be the compressor has seized, but the first thing you need to do is try replacing the relay on the compressor, the problem is looking at the parts for this they are showing most things are unavailable for it, this means I can get you a part number, do you have an appliance parts supply house nearby? What you will need to do is on the side of the compressor there will be a box with the wires go in under this box will be the relay assembly, you need to unplug this and top the box off and then the relay there are different styles the relays so I'm not sure which one you have on yours, if you can get your old one off it may have numbers on it or you may be a little bring it to a local supply house and they can get you one to fit, once you get the relay off shake it if it rattles its bad, but it may be bad without rattling also, but if it rattles it's definitely bad, if you replaced the relay in the compressor still won't start the compressor itself is bad, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan