Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Ice dispenser not working properly, opens with no ice dropping.

Ice dispenser not working properly, opens with no ice dropping. Sometimes water comes
out. Checking on line seems a big problem. Fridge purchased in 2007, a side by side model.
I have cleaned out ice dispenser 4 times, sometimes it works, mostly not.The cubes at bottom of holder are frozen with crushed ice around them. I only set for cubed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Is the flap on the dispenser closing tightly? Take a flashlight and shine it through the hole can you see light coming through?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no light coming through. When I removed ice container, the part where the
ice drops down at floor of container was almost solid right to underneath the container which has happened before when I removed. I know if flap was open, the heat from outside would tend to melt the ice. The cubes are perfectly formed at floor of container.
I am going to leave container overnight to make sure its perfectly dry before inserting
back. These attempts I have tried before though. Can I wait until tomorrow same
time to retry or is this my only answer before calling a service technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well it could be that the icemaker itself is allowing too much water coming in when it fills to make ice and water goes in the container it freezes, this is pretty common on these on these, doesn't seem like there is water coming out of the icemaker maybe dripping over the side?