Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi! You helped me last year and now I need help again! I have

Hi! You helped me last year and now I need help again! I have a Whirlpool duet front loading washer and the front door is locked - error code F29 and we don't know what to do to open it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay you need to remove the bottom access panel under the door, there are three screws underneath real close to the floor you take those out and remove the panel, then you need to reach inside up to with the door lock is an know be a small ring on the bottom you need to pull the ring down in this will unlock the door, also while you have the panel off you need to clean the pump trap, you will see the cap You unscrew right on the pump it faces right towards the front and it's on the right side of the machine, you have a clogged pump in this is not draining so the door will not unlock unless the machine is empty, be careful get some towels ready there will be water that will come out when you unscrew and pull that trap out, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow...that worked but it lead back to why it locked to begin with. Water started leaking out the door and it just locked up again??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan...are you there?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry, was out of the office for a bit, these machines lock after the water was put in but it sounds like yours is overfilling, you said the water was coming out of the door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I literally just started the machine and the second water started pouring in it started pouring out the door and got locked up again. I haven't checked the drain hose yet though...
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so you did clean the trap though correct? Was there still water in it before you restarted it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K. I opened the drain and some water came out, but not that much. i unlocked it again and tried to start the washer again...it made a buzzing noise and locked up again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay let me take a look at that F 29 again I'll be back in just a little bit I think you fill sensor might be bad this is the part that tells how much water to put in the tub
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay the F 29 is a problem with the door latch assembly,

F29 is a Door Latch Unlock error. This occurs after the door attempts to lock 6 times. With no successful lock achieved, the error code will be generated. Check the following:

1.First, UNPLUG the washer in an attempt to reset the Central Control Unit (CCU). Sometimes this is all that required in order to clear momentary glitches with the unit. If the error code reappears, proceed to step 2.
2.Check the door switch/latch for foreign objects that may have become lodged in the mechanism and may be preventing it from operating.
3.Check the wiring harness from the CCU to the door latch. The harness can be accessed by removing the washer top panel. Remove the panel by removing the three screws that hold the panel in place in the rear of the washer. With the screws removed, the panel will slide back, and then off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K., I tried suggestions 1 & 2 with no luck. I am a woman trying to do this on my own, so i'm not sure i will be able to move the washer without assistance, but if I do and get the back panel off, what am I looking for with the harness?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Basically you need to check the plugs both in the door latch assembly and the CCU which is the central control unit, it's kinda hard if you try to do this by yourself and you don't know what I'm talking about it sounds to me however that the door lock/latch is bad, that is usually what the problem is and you said you heard a buzzing so that tells me the doors not locking and it can't drain and spin if it thinks the door is not locked even though it is, I hate to see you buy you door lock assembly though until your absolutely sure, you can try replacing it and see if it takes care of your issue, if you get me the model number I will look it up for you, just open the door and there will be a tag with the model number on it, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. The model # XXXXX XXXXX I will have to wait until Saturday to get someone to help me move it out and remove the back panel. I am in CT and just got whalloped with almost 4 feet of snow so I know I can't get any help until the weekend...can I contact you Saturday afternoon?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I understand I'm from Cape Cod myself, we even got snowed in here in Tennessee so I know how you feel, here is the latch assembly, and if you click this blue link it will take you to a you can order the part, I really wish there was more we could do but if you get somebody out there to help you check all the plugs on both the door latch assembly and the CCU, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So are we done? Do i say accept or should I contact you if I have questions after I take the back off on Saturday?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you can accept if you'd like and still come back if you have more questions, there will be no additional charge if you need more help, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.