Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My washer was running and made a loud clunk and then stopped.

My washer was running and made a loud clunk and then stopped. When I try to start it, the motor just hums.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get us the full model number? Is this a top load or a frontload?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Top load.

Where will I find the model number?

Lift the lid and in the back middle you will see a tag with the model number on it it's right in the center back when you open the lid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Stylemaster No.(NNN) NNN-NNNNRev. A.
Okay that model number is XXXXX short are there any other numbers? Also is this draining the water? I know you hear the motor running but is it draining the water also out of it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That was the only number on the lid. Do I need to open the top of the washer?

The motor doesn't run, it hums like it is stalled.

The washer doesn't drain, but I was able to take the hose out of the standpipe and drain the water into a bucket to empty the washer.

Okay, you shouldn't have to open up the cabinet find model number, click this link and next to the search button there is a section that says help me find my model number click on that go to washer and click the video link, they will show you the different places your model number may be found
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay that's it, it sounds like you got something stuck in your pump,this is connected directly to the motor itself, if something got into the pump it would stop the motor and the motor would just buzz, click this link and it'll take you to the pump and a video on how to take this apart to get to it, I'm sure you're going to find something in your pump, possibly a sock or something has gotten through and jammed the pump, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pulled the pump off. There is nothing in it and it turns freely.
Okay does the motor turn freely? Or is it seized up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor will not turn.
Okay there are two either one quarter inch or 5/16 of an inch screws holding the motor brackets that hold the motor in that look similar to the ones that were on the pump can you remove those and drop the motor down and out and see if it turns not connected to the transmission?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it is frozen.
Okay unfortunately motor needs to be replaced, good news is you're halfway there I guess, the bad news is that runs about $170 maybe a little less, here is a link for that, link sorry for the bad news. It was hoping it was something simpler than that, well wishes and thanks Bryan