Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool Calypso gas dryer that runs but with no

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool Calypso gas dryer that runs but with no heat. What is the likely cause?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

The first thing you need to do is open the bottom access panel under the door, the panel is part number 61 on this diagram, you need to push a putty knife into the clips marked number 46 and pull the access panel out at the top, then start the dryer in see if the igniter is glowing, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am waiting for my husband to get home, can we continue this in the morning. I cant get into it with out his help. I didnt realize you were going to be so interactive.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats fine. talk tomorrow, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so very much. I will be in touch in the morning after he does the first step. have a great evening.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

thanks you too. Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have the panel off and are awaiting your instructions. Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, start the dryer and watch underneath to see if the igniter glows, let me know if it gets red.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have had it on for 5 minutes...its not getting red.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay your igniter is bad,you need to replace it, these are very fragile so you need to be extremely careful not to hit on anything when replacing it, you can get this@, link and there is a video at the link I gave you that shows you how to do it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, we replaced the ignitor and the element was broken off but we still aren't getting any heat.....please help
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, sorry I was out for a little while, the igniter was broken correct? So you replaced it and you still have no heat? Is the new igniter glowing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No the new ignitor is not glowing...
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to check voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, unfortunately we don't....my husband has one at work but not here...Frown
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, really strange that the new igniter is glowing and the old one was broken so I was wondering if you could check the power to the igniter by unpluging the igniter and test for power to it, can he get the meter tomorrow and bring it home with him? If so he needs to check for 120 V going to the igniter the dryer is running and on high heat,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...its not glowing Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I realize it's not glowing but we need to test see if it's getting 120 Vs to it, once we know if it is or isn't we can go further, if you can't get the meter from work Lowes sells a cheap one for a round $15.00 and that would do to help test this, let me know if you can get your hands on meter, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im sorry, your first sentence before that response mentioned that it was....I didnt want you to misunderstand me.....

My husband was able to locate an old meter in his truck.....whats next?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay put the meter on voltage and unplug the igniter, but one probe in each of the two connector holes coming from the dryer itself not from the igniter, start the dryer you should get 120 V let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay. he did just that and he didn't get a reading.....no voltage
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay does he know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes he does
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay on the side of the heater can there is a flame sensor have him unplug the dryer and carefully fold one wire off of that flame sensor, then have them test across the two spades for continuity, there should be continuity in this,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no continuity
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the flame sensor is bad then, it's really weird that the igniter was bad and the flame sensor is also bad but it does happen, I would take it off and I gather you have a local supply house nearby where you got the igniter, bring it with you and have them double check it, this has to have continuity for the igniter to get power, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, after he removed the heat sensor and checking it while its out, it does have continuity....

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay we need to check some other things then, give me a few minutes to look up some other things you can check
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you got it
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay, you checked the thermostats next for continuity, start with number 43 on the burner tube, check these the same way you did the flame sensor, after 43 check number 42 in number 59 on this diagram,let me know what you come up with on those thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
43 and 42 worked, 59 did not
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay that's your problem then, what you can do to make sure and this is just a test is take the two wires off of it and tape them together, try the dryer, if the igniter glow is replace the thermal fuse, that's what it is it's the thermal fuse, it looks like this correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yep, we have the part....it is installed and we have heat!!! thanks so much for all your assistance!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
that's great! Good job it's a pleasure working with people who know what to do on I tell them how, well wishes and have a great night, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, Bryan