Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my dryer buzzes when i turn it on. is there some kind of safety

my dryer buzzes when i turn it on. is there some kind of safety reset button. The vent was heavily clogged i cleaned it and vacummed it out but when i turn it on it still just buzzes when i hit start and does not go on? I unplugged it, is there some kind of reset for the computer to now let it know everything has been cleaned and cleared.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Do you have somebody there that can help you do a little test? It takes two people to do this test, let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am actually at work because my computer is broke at home. Should I wait to contact you when I get the computer back up?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well I can tell you how to do it now you wish, I'll I need you to do is open the dryer door and hold the button in(the door switch button) and have somebody press start for you while you spin the drum by hand, if it starts when you do that the start windings in the motor are bad, the motor would need to be replaced at that point,this is by far the most common reason for your issue, these motors go all the time, you can order one @ but it's expensive $103.75, and they can be a pain to put in, do this test and you will know if it is the motor, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 1/10/2011 at 6:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so is this common with these dryers, this dryer is only 3 years old - and the motor is shot? If its not the motor can I contact you tomorrow after I perform this test when I get home or do I have to accept this as my answer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
You don't need to accept now you can get back to me tomorrow, and yes these motors are junk and they do go a lot especially if you're that was really clogged up probably there is a kind of lint on the motor and around it which will make these motors overheat and eventually die, you can get back to me tomorrow and let me know if it starts, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok it is the motor. So on before i accept your expertise - do you recommend replacing the motor and have a tech come out or can you recommend a dryer that is more reliable than 3 yrs. I bought these 2 ge appliances and spent alot of money on them and the washer and dryer have both been nightmares service wise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well this isn't an easy job, it is recommended you get this replaced by a tech. G.E. is a nightmare to get serviced, sorry . thanks Bryan