Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Help. I have a 1999 Amana Dryer model LEA50AW. It makes

Help. I have a 1999 Amana Dryer model LEA50AW.

It makes a continuous, very loud noise, much louder than regular dryer noise, when I turn it on. It is not a thump, thump. It also gives off a smell when it is turned on.

My appliance store of course said, it is 11 years old, don't put any money into it.

What do you say? My brother wants me to lie on the floor (I am 68 and that is not so easy) and disconnect the belt from the motor to see if it is the motor that is broken, rather than a roller.

Please what can you tell me?

Katherine Way

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Is this a squealing noise? Is it a rumble? Can you describe the noise to me?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Brian

It is not a squeal. It is a loud rumble. Sounds like a dryer usually does but with the volume turned way up. The noise is continuous, does not vary. Makes you want to turn it off immediately.
Okay, there are couple of things you could check but being 68 not wanting to really lay on the floor can be a problem or at least taking the machine apart can be difficult on these, which you need to do is see if there's something in the blower assembly, sometimes something can get stuck in the blower and throw the blower out of balance which will make a loud rumble noise, the only other thing he could be other than that would be the motor, the bearings in the motor could be worn and that's the rumble you hear, if you think you want to attempt this let me know and I will see if I can get you the diagrams, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan (sorry I spelled your name wrong)

Yes, please see if you can get me a diagrams of this machine. It does not look easy to take apart. But that also makes it look like a well-made machine, worth the trouble. If it is the motor bearings, that means a new motor, right??

My 68 year old twin brother will give me a hand. I'm the one who says "remember to unplug it" and who finds the screws on the floor.

My brother is the one who wants to try to fix first, rather than running out for a new machine.

Thank you for your help.
Katherine Way

They are well-built machines, heavy-duty actually, give me a little while to get all the diagrams to you, walking you through this is too hard over the net but I will get you a link to all the diagrams, if that will help, be back shortly, thanks, Bryan

Okay great, copy and paste the link below and it will take you to all the diagrams for your machine, LEA50AW&blt=15 or click the blue link and then the model # XXXXX in blue, hope this helps. thanks Bryan