Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

ZDIS150WSS GE under counter ice maker wont stop cleaning.

ZDIS150WSS GE under counter ice maker won't stop cleaning. After power off, and electrical disconnection from wall, then plugging unit back into ac, then, turning the unit "on" also turns on "clean" which is normal. The "clean" never turns off, and dumps water on top of ice, making a large block of useless ice. The "clean" usually will turn off after a few minutes, but is malfunctioning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Can you be more specific as to what it exactly is doing?

Repairman1981 :

Do you mean it's making a large block and never harvesting it, or do you mean it's literally cleaning (just pumping water around?)

Customer :

When the unit is first turned on, the "on" button also turns on the "clean" button (or light). This, I think is normal. The unit is flushing water and draining it, and that appears normal. The "clean" mode never stops, and the unit make ice cubes, but the cleaning is continuing, spilling water onto the made ice, and making it into a frozen block.

Customer :

Because the cleaning cycle never stops, this is causing the problem.

Repairman1981 :

Well, the clean cycle and ice production cycle cannot occur at the same time. The clean cycle just pumps with the compressor off

Customer :

In this case, the "on" and "clean" turn on at start, and continuously run, making cubes of ice, and dumping some water onto the ice, which make the small cubes into a large block of unusable ice. The "clean" will not ever turn off, not matter what you do with the switch, or recycle power. Any thoughts?

Customer :

And, just so I am clear, the block of ice is forming in the hopper, not in the tray. The tray makes ice and dumps it. It is just that the "clean" is runing at the same time and overfills the tray and the excess water drops on the ice in the hopper and freezes into a large block. I hope this helps.

Repairman1981 :

Have you ran the clean cycle (45 mins) also if the clean light is on continuously that can be an error code for a bad harvest thermistor. We need to rule the basics out first though

Customer :

That seemed to fix it, running the "clean" independently for 45 min. It now runs in the "on" position correctly. Thank you.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands