Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my refridgerator GE Profile (artica) will not set at the temperature

my refridgerator GE Profile (artica) will not set at the temperature we are trying to set it at
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What is going on with the temperature exactly? Is the refrigerator too cold? Also, do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model # XXXXX

2 days ago it stopped working - we woke up and it was way too warm

we took all the food out - threw a bunch a way and put some in a cooler

i then took off the back, cleaned it with a vaccum and it seemed to work pretty good, but then it was too cold all day yesterday. we went to grocery & bought all new food (put it in there) and now it is back to being warm again.......well, the fridge side is.

the freezer side is now -2 (should be 0), fridge side is 45 (should be 37). We push the buttons to get it down or up to the suggested #'s, but it doesn't seem to move or if it does, it goes too far

Please help! I can't throw another $300 of food away again!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
You'll need to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel. Tell me what the silver coils behind this panel look like. Are they silver from top to bottom? A little frost on the top but not bottom? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Packed with frost?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took the food out of the bottom, but I don't see any removable panel? do I need to pull the fridge out and go in from the back???

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no, you need to remove the screws holding the lower back panel on inside the freezer itself---it's not "easily" removable, you need to remove the screws mounting it in place.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i guess i would say frosted from top to bottom, not sure if lightly or not.......there does appear to be more on the very bottom than the top......if you have a phone that accepts pictures I can take one with my phone & send it???
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately can't give out E-mail or Phone numbers. How thick is the the frost on the coils. More than a milimeter or two thick? more like thick frost that wouldn't let much air up through the bottom to the top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not that thick..........there is spacing between each "hair looking" thingy

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok well it still sounds like there is too much frost, but it's just starting. This is very common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

You can thaw the unit out and wait 24 hours without replacing the heater and if the refrigerator temperature gets down to normal tomorrow then you know you have a defrost issue and you need to replace that heater.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but i said there is room for air to flow upward - ie. space inbetween the bristles (hair looking things) - why do you think it's a defrost issue with that info?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
because if it was really thin frost (a milimeter or so) you wouldn't have any trouble stating it was very thin frost build up, instead it sounds like it's in the middle which is why the refrigerator is just getting a little warm right now and in a few days it will be a lot warmer.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.