John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE front load washer has smoke inside the drum!! What would

Customer Question

My GE front load washer has smoke inside the drum!! What would cause this? We opened the drain plug and removed a lot of stuff as well as a coin that was stuck in the hose. Did the pump burn up? Please tell me where to start looking, because I cannot afford another service call for an appliance. This washer/dryer set is only 4 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Does the water pump smell like its burnt you should be able to smell it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't really say that the pump smells burnt. Ran the washer yesterday and everything was fine until the final few minutes of the spin cycle. Started to smell something burning and could see smoke inside the drum.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Have you tried the washer since the smell if not try it and tell me whats not working or if the smell comes back please.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already ran the washer again this morning. On the speed wash setting everything was fine. On a normal setting the same thing happened as before. All is okay until the final 2min of the spin cycle. The drum is full of smoke but the clothes don't smell. How is smoke getting in the drum?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The only way smoke can get into the drum is from the water pump its the only part that can cause that to happen.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So how do I remove the pump?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

You have had it apart to clean out the coins so just remove the two screws and remove the two hoses .

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way to clean the pump or do I just need to replace it?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You said you found coins in the pump so I would remove it from the washer to make sure its clean before buying a new water pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a lot of black residue in the pump, is that a sign that it's burnt? We also found some pieces of plastic in drain opening after that last test cycle.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Yes that would be a burnt up pump if you found the black residue in the pump.

Replace the pump it should fix the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where would the plastic be coming from? Is something maybe rubbing when the drum spins?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
The plastic could be part of the impeller seeing that you found coins in the water pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got a new pump, but still have smoke inside the drum!
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

http://www.geappliances.ca/recall/Washer%20Communications%20Canada-Consumer_June-9-10_english.pdf

I was checking the problem and came up with this from G E .

Its a recall problem that I want aware of.

Call G E to have the problem repaired Free of charge.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My washer is a different model number, unfortunately!! Any other ideas?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

http://www.washing-machine-wizard.com/ge-wcvh6600hww-front-loading-washer.html

Well your not the only customer having this problem and G E doesnt seem to know whats causing the problem.

I would call G E for this problem it should be covered under Warranty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Called GE and got nowhere. Ended up paying for a technician to come out and was told that I need a new drum( over $300 for the part alone). Off to buy a new washer
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
A new drum then the washer had to be very noisy in the spin cycle , And that wouldn't cause the smoke.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The repairman said the drum was rubbing on a gasket during the spin cycle causing the smoke in the drum.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Well Ive never heard of a drum having to be replaced because it rubbed on a gasket especially when it wasn't leaking water.