Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Maytag Ice2o. and the ice maker has stopped making

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Ice2o. and the ice maker has stopped making ice. it still gets water and its cold enough it just seems to have stopped adding water to the tray.
any idea
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. On top of your refrigerator is a small hole cut into the cabinet and has the water fill elbow installed in it. It is made from yellow rubber material and should be able to be pinched. See if it is solid when you pinch it, which would indicate the fill tube is frozen. Let me know what you find...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so i pulled the little door off the top and exposed the hose. its a white poly hose with a white rubber 90 degree. that goes into the maker. It will not collapse while i pinch it and it doesn't feel cold as if it was frozen.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
It should be soft. It is frozen there and probably down into the fill tube of the icemaker. Hot water will thaw it and then be sure to inspect it for breakage. Be sure to thaw all the way into the icemaker fill cup!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so as i see it the access to the pipe only gives me 2" so how do i get to the rest of the hose to warm it up. as for the maker water should dumps into a cup in the maker supplied by that 90. do I have to turn off the unit over night?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
You will likely have to replace the hose as they usually split when they freeze. Once you thaw it out from the top, you will be able to see if it has. Once thawed, you can remove the icemaker assembly to thaw it out as well, but you will need to know the trick to remove it. I will upload the manual for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the manuel.I will try to thaw it
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
What is your model number, please? It will be located in the fresh food section.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mod #MFI2568AES
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?s5l8y5dprox4pl8

Here is a link to the complete service manual.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so i think the ice maker solenoid pump is not working. can I disconect the line from the solenoid?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Sure. The solenoid is located in the fresh food section in the back, RH side. The panel will snap off to allow access. It is number 15 in the picture, part number 67006322, available at http://www.appliancezone.com/.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so i went to the Service test and its telling me. for service test 163 that my water valve is off. how do i switch it back on

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The water valve is energized through the icemaker control. It will energize when the control calls for it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so how do i find out if i need a new solenoid or something else?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

If you have the line thawed out and the icemaker thawed out, put it back together and see if you get ice in a few hours. Usually a frozen fill tube is caused by a leaking valve or poor water pressure. If pressure to the refrig is good, the valve will likely need to be replaced. They have a pretty high rate of failure and are fairly inexpensive. You could also apply voltage to the valve to test it, but it can be dangerous if you have no experience doing this.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so after all this I still have a none funtioning ice maker. any idea what to do next?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Is the icemaker thawed out and the fill tube as well? Not sure where we left off last regarding these points. Did you get all the ice out of the icemaker mold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the Ice maker is thawed and the blade can be turned freely.The tude is fine i was able to flush water throu the tube (its not froven).I thought it was the water solenoid so i bought a new one, but once i put it in i still had no water to the ice maker. I am getting water just fine at the door.what do you think?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.

If you can blow through the hose from the valve to the icemaker fill tube, the only other thing it can be is the icemaker itself. Part available HERE. Remove the hose from the inlet valve and try blowing through it. Icemaker is very easy to replace following instructions in the service manual I sent you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if i take out the Ice maker does the Auger come out with it? or do i just take out the maker it self? do i nee to unscrew anything or are they clipped on? just want to make sure i dont pull on something to hard.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The icemaker only comes as a complete assembly. It will slide out with the entire assembly, including the fan and damper assembly. Follow instructions for releasing tab on LH side in the manual. Comes out very easy if you know how to release the hidden tab shown in the service manual.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the freezer temp have anything to do with the makers operation?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, it has to be atleast 15*F for the thermostat to cycle. Is the temp atleast that in the icemaker compartment? I guess I assumed it was with the frozen inlet tube initially posted.