Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

For 3 times now, about 30 days apart, my 5 year old Amana 2533DES

For 3 times now, about 30 days apart, my 5 year old Amana 2533DES has stopped. The fans run and I can hear the compressor trying to start every 15 minutes or so. The first two times it was unplugged for a couple of days and then it restarted and worked fine for about a month. The next time it happened again and after it restarted a service man said the door wasn't closing properly so he adjusted it. Now, it happend again and a guy that claimed to have worked for Amana said without looking or testing (just by hearing) that it was a bad compressor and these models are well known for this problem. Another engineer aquanitance says it might be the the defrost timer or switch. Please tell me what you think.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Well it's hard to say, have you tried changing the compressor relay? These relays fail all the time it's the most common problem in your refrigerator with your symptoms, you should change the relay and see if it runs if not if it does same thing the compressor is bad, here is the relay, this just plugs onto the side of the compressor, if you hear the compressor trying to start and I doubt it's going to be the defrost timer or switch sounds to me like the relay has failed, you can order this @ four $28.35 well worth the effort and money to try, hope this helps thanks well wishes, Bryan