Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The timer on my Mayag Dryer (Model MDC308DAYN) went out. The

The timer on my Mayag Dryer (Model MDC308DAYN) went out. The local appliance company order a new maytag timer and replace it. When I went to start the Dryer, it would not heat up on any of the control setting (Auto Dry,Regular; Auto Dry Wrinkle or Time Dry. Also the Tech told me that the new timer would not work on the AUto Dry Wrinkel positon at all.

Could it be possible that the 2nd timer was the wrong part?; or possible not all the wires were connected correctly ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Was the new timer part number 37001251? If so it is the correct timer if not what number did you get?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes the new tiem was 37001251

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
There is no reason why then that the sensor dry wouldn't work with this timer, this is the original timer so therefore since they did not change the timer everything should run correctly when you install the new timer, what was the original problem with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Original proble was that the timer would not work - no heat
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay so there was no heat at all with the original timer, or was it just on the sensor dry setting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO Heat on any of the timer positons.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay so you had no heat anywhere not in the timed or sensor dry positions? Who told you that you needed the timer? Why did you need to replace this? Somebody tell you that was the problem? This is a gas dryer am I correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Appliance Tech who made the service call is the one who told us there was no heat. He is comming back tomorrow afternoon to see if he can fix the problem. I thought I would check with another person to see if they might have and idea as to why the timer failed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I dont believe the timer did fail, if it's doing the same thing it did before the timer wasn't the issue, this is a gas dryer correct? Does he know how to work on these? It sounds to me like he doesn't know what he's doing, is a reputable company? He needs to check several things in this, here is a list of things he needs to check, the thermostats, the gas valve coils, the flame sensor, and igniter, according to your model number this is a gas dryer but you haven't told me for sure, at any rate you never just replace the timer without checking all these other things, I hope this helps, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 1/6/2011 at 10:34 PM EST