Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool accubake super capacity 465. When I use

I have a whirlpool accubake super capacity 465. When I use the oven it burns my eyes and gives me a headache. It also seems to leave soot. I checked for leaks then turned my system on again and still the same thing. I use propane. I am out of work so I need to be able to fix this myself. Would changing the regulator help, or does it need something else done to it? When my propane tank is ready to run out I have also smelled propane in the house from the stove.
Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Okay, if there is soot then the air gas mixture is wrong on this, what does the flame look like? Is it yellowish or is it blue colored? When you tank is ready to run out of gas sometimes you will smell a little propane smell because it's mostly mixed with air and not as much gas in it tends to be stronger smelling, also can you get me the full model number? Look in the drawer when you pull it out there should be a tag with the model number on it, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model number SF379LEKB.

When I start it up the flame on top is trimmed in blue but underneath an orange flame is shooting up

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to receive videos?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay so the flame underneath is orange this means too much air in not enough gas you need to shut the air shutter down until a flame turns blue and also you may need to shut the orifice a little bit it sounds like if it's shooting up like that the orifice is open to much, give me about 15 or 20 min. to try to get all the information together for you and get you some pictures of what you need to do, do you have any tools and are you handy with things like this because this is gas and we want to make sure you are able to do this, adjusting the flame can be a little tricky, let me know, thanks, Bryan

I don't believe were able to receive videos but I know what's going on I seen it 100 times

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tools but I will need to know where the parts are to adjust. I believe I can handle it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay give me a little bit I need to step out for a few minutes and I'll try to get you diagrams and pictures of what you need to do, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay I'm back, let me know when you're ready will see we can do the about getting you straightened away , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter is cooking right now so I'll get back with you. You can go ahead and send me the directions so I can start as soon as she is done.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you need probably a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch open end wrench, and in this diagram you will see part number 14 in number 15 what you need to do is take the bottom drawer out and get to part number 15, there is a brass fitting type thing is called an orifice and it sticks up into the tube (burner) number 14, you could see the orifice in this picture, you need to turn this clockwise a little bit at a time and then test the oven flame as you go and you will see the flame come down in size and hopefully turn bluer also I can't tell by the diagram in your air mixture shutter is but it will be on the tube number 14 if there is one in this, it will have a Phillips head screw you will be used to loosen and shut the air shutter if the flame is still yellow until it turns blue in other words close it a bit, this will cut down on the amount of air going to the burner which is what caused the orange flame but it also sounds like the flame is too big and that's why I'm having you and adjust the orifice down first, if you can't get this correct unfortunately you will need to call for service on it, there's only so much you can do without endangering yourself and others, hope this info helps, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should the flames come up into the bottom of the stove or should they all stay underneath. I haven't adjusted it yet but right now the flames shoot up probably a couple of inches
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The flames should not shoot up into the oven they should all stay underneath you should have a nice clean blue flame along the deflector plate above the burner, the flames should only be as big as that burner plate no bigger probably an inch or so less actually, this is definitely open to far the orifice that is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok going to work on it. There is an air mixture shutter on there.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay first adjust your fist so the flame is lower, then if the flame is still yellow or orange you need to close the air mixture shutter until the flame comes to a nice clean blue. This will take care of your problem if you can get them adjusted correctly, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The flame started out as blue with the orange and then turned to mostly orange when I turned it clockwise. I then turned it counterclockwise and the flame is up into the oven probably 4 inches. So the orifice makes the flame bigger? I did close the air shutter with no change in the flame color. It was opened up all the way and I shut it as much as it would go. Would the flame color change as the stove burns longer? I am back to work on it
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The orifice lets more gas in and makes the flame bigger okay open the shutter about a quarter of the way and closing orifice a little bit at a time he deftly don't want to turn it counterclockwise this makes the flame bigger, I told you these are kind of tricky to adjust so leave the shutter open about one quarter and adjust the flame down with the orifice, it could be you can get the blue color because you are running out of gas in his more air in the tank I'll bet when you have the tank full you can adjust as correctly, that just came to mind because some of you saying you are almost out of gas, get your tank filled then try adjusting it if you can't do it correctly please could somebody to do it for you, that is definitely your issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have adjusted flame to below bottom of stove but flame is still orange. I can't see the actual burner but see the orange color reflecting off the bottom under the burner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can' t see the burner so how do I see it or do I just look through the "vent" holes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am finished working on it for the day. Any idea where to get knobs for it for cheap? They are like $20. + from Sears.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the knobs are expensive everywhere, sorry, is the oven working better?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't had the oven on today yet, but last night it smelled much better. Thank God! It would make me sick feeling!

Thanks for your help!