Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Fridge. The icemaker doesnt work.

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Fridge. The icemaker doesn't work. I've replaced the water solenoid valve that controls the water to the ice maker but that didn't correct the problem. I'm not sure what triggers the solenoid valve to turn on and off. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed from this point. The model is 106.56166500.
Hello I'm Larry and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

look at the icemaker and tell me where the ejector fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker are pointing please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are pointing straight down at the 6:oo position
is the little lights flashing on the side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you going to be online for a few minutes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. I wasn't sure of your methods for solving problems. If we can trouble shoot this problem in one session that would be great.
i can and i will .. the module (head) of the icemaker is bad, it should be pointing towards 2 oclock and not down as it is ,, you will need to replace the module or the icemaker itself ,, the modult cost about $85 and the icemaker cost about $115 and you can get either at a local appliance parts dealer near you ,,, thanks
Glad i could help you with your problem today so please press the accept button for me before you leave so i may be paid ,, Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Larry, I tried Sear's web site for Kenmore fridges. Gave the model and s/n but they could not identify the part by the name module or ice maker. A picture of of a small gear motor was what was shown but it didn't look like the gear motor on my unit.
you were talking to a dumb *** ,, check out this link and then you will see i know more then they do ,, thanks

Edited by Larry on 1/11/2011 at 2:16 AM EST