Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

Hello, I have a GE dishwasher that wont fill with water.

Hello, I have a GE dishwasher that won't fill with water.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. Make sure the dishwasher has water to it. I have seen some pipes freeze lately. If that is ok use your meter and check for 120 volts to the water valve when you first start it. If you dont have any voltage then replace the control/timer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the water supply from the house plumbing looks fine.

I'm pretty sure the water inlet valve isn't supposed to first activate until 3-5 minutes after the washer starts. At that time, there's a fairly loud buzz.

When I used my meter to test the terminals of the water inlet valve, I got no voltage at any time, including just after the buzz.

I assumed that the buzz was the water inlet valve trying to activate. I don't recall hearing this buzz when the washer was working, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Do you still recommend I look at the timer, or is there something else I should check?
The buzz sounds like the water valve trying to let water in. The hose can look fine but may not flow water through it. Make sure you have good water pressure to the valve from under the sink.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's plenty of water pressure from the house plumbing. Any other suggestions?
If you have no voltage to the valve i would replace the timer then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, when I checked the timer, I found a broken wire. The broken wire appears to lead to the float switch.

I assume the broken connection to the float switch is "fooling" the dishwasher into thinking it's flooded, so it won't fill. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

The break was near the door hinge. It almost looks like the wire was cut, rather than breaking from wear. I don't know if the wiring was too tight, and years of opening the door caused it to snap, or if there was friction somewhere that cut it.

What is your recommendation on how to best repair the break, to prevent it from happening again? Thanks.
They dont give much slack in the wires. What ever slack they do give you try to put it by door hinge. if you just put a connector right where that wire is broke it will break again do to the opening and closing of the door. Remove the inner door panel and cut the broken wire in there and then cut the broken wire under the dishwasher. Now add a new piece of wire so the splice isnt right by the hinge.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years