Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our GE Profile Spacesaver microwave (model JVM1490sh) has power

Our GE Profile Spacesaver microwave (model JVM1490sh) has power but will not cook food. We are able to set the time and power level, but when we press the start button, we can hear a faint click, after which the timer starts counting down as if the microwave were on, but nothing is actually happening.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

One of your door switches is bad, there are three of them, I would replace them all they are only five dollars apiece and this is what they look like, you would need to open the control panel to replace these and it's much easier to remove the switch assembly to replace them this can be a challenging job however, the thing you have to be really careful of is even if this is unplugged the capacitor can store a lethal amount of voltage and it's recommended a technician do this job, you can get these @ if you decide to replace them yourself they are right inside the body with the door hook goes into the machine, hope this helps thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan, any suggestions regarding discharging stored current prior to actually trying to replace the switch?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Well you can ground out a capacitor but this is a dangerous move also, usually these are stuck way back in side the control board area, I just don't want you getting hurt I've seen it 100 times even the tech makes a mistake every now and again, I can show you with a capacitor looks like but I can't recommend doing it for your safety, this is the capacitor, and here is the government warning on these, I'm not trying to get out of doing my job and I'm sure it's switch that's the problem just don't want to see anybody get hurt,

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven

Hope this info is useful though, be safe thanks, Bryan