Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Dryer turns over but does not heat. it is a Heavy Duty

Dryer turns over but does not heat.

it is a Heavy Duty 5 cycle dryer that is about 14 years old. It has had light use middle aged couple in 2 bed apartment.

thx.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you recheck the model number? This model number is XXXXX coming up, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DDE8200RCMWH
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, give me a few minutes to take a look at the diagrams and parts, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to check continuity? Do you think you can get this dryer apart and test some parts? You'll need to check the heater first,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do have a volt meter and can figure out how to check continuity.

My guess is that I need the heater element you have listed above. It costs $195 at Repair Clinic. Is it worth spending that on this dryer or should we buy a new one? This is for a high end rental in a small town.

I can go home and remove the element tonight. What would you like me to test?

thx.

karl.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well what you need to test this for continuity in the two coils that run around the inside of the heating element, you may even see that they are burnt or broken also there are thermostats on the heater can, you need to check those also continuity remove one wire on each one and test it, make sure you remember to unplug the dryer before even starting on this, the element is behind the inside drum and can be a pain in the neck to get to you will need to take the front of the dryer off reach in and release the belt and pulled drum out through the front of the dryer, the timers in these can also be an issue with them not heating, I realize it's a lot of money for the heating element and these aren't very good drives start with to be honest, they have plastic glides and plastic drum bearings and everything is just plastic and these things, if you do decide to replace this which may be a better option for you I would go with a whirlpool there 10 times a dependable machine, or a Roper which is made by Whirlpool, these machines last a lot longer with less problems, hope this helps, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.