Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE Arctica Profile Model #PSS25MGNAWW. My problem

Customer Question

I have a GE Arctica Profile Model #PSS25MGNAWW. My problem is that the freezer does not defrost itself and lasts only about 2 weeks after I thaw it out. Now, the refrigerator side is freezing stuff. I replaced the motherboard with a new one about a month ago and that did not fix the problem, but the freezer fan does not seem to run constantly like it did before... Defrost heater?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Yes, as you state this means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1 question. You said, "your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down". My refrigerator is freezing things now...is that the same problem as the defrost heater? It all seems to work after a 24 hour defrost, but only for a few days...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no, not at all. If your refrigerator is freezing you don't have a defrost problem, you have a problem with the unit cooling. I guess I missed that before. Sorry. What temperature does the display show the refrigerator is at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Display? The setting is at 3, which I turned down from 5 yesterday because it was too cold...now the temp seems to be ok because my mild is not frozen. I know there is some kind of a defrost problem because I left the back freezer panel off after defrosting it 3 days ago and it is now covered with frost over 1/2 inch thick.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok so your artica doesn't have a digital display. It sounds like your thermostat inside your refrigerator has just gone bad to me. The thermostat is never telling the compressor to turn off which is why it's getting way to cold inside the refrigerator as well as not giving it time to defrost. You need to replace the damper assembly which is located in the upper left hand corner of the refrigerator. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

It comes with a temperature sensor, small fan and a flap that stops the air from coming into the refrigerator from the freezer once the refrigerator gets down to temperature.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has a digital display. I can send u a photo if you need..like I said earlier, I turned the refrig. temp down to 3 and my milk isn't frozen anymore. I know the compressor isn't running all the time because could hear it turn on/off while I was behind it for 2 hours trying to figure the dumb thing out...I thinki you are3 right with the defrost heater somehow, but how do I test it..?? I have a fluke, but would have to see how to use it for this. I do appreciate your help
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I know it has a digital display, but it only shows a number 2 or 3 or 5 or whatever, it doesn't display the temperature which is what I meant (like 37 degrees).

And no, the defrost heat is NOT the problem. If you wanted to do a needless test, then you check the resistance of the heater and it should be between 10 and 50 ohms if it's good.

You need to replace the damper assembly that I linked to you. You're making this much harder than it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, last question, then I will accept your answer...why does the damper assembly allow the freezer to create over a 1/2 inch of frost on the coils in only 3 days..I can't even get the back panel on now...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
it's creating frost because the compressor is never turning off. Generally if you have a defrost problem it takes about two or three weeks or more to get enough frost to cause a problem because the compressor is turning on and off. If you had a defrost problem the refrigerator would never get TOO cold, it won't only get warmer because it can't circulate the air.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you wrote, "It sounds like your thermostat inside your refrigerator has just gone bad to me". The damper assembly does not come with a new thermostat????