Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Detergent spilled into my dryer vent. How can I clean it

Customer Question

Detergent spilled into my dryer vent. How can I clean it out?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the full model # ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tell me where to look for the model number I looked but didn't see it
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
open the door and there should be a tag with the model # XXXXX the machine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Duh! I should have known that.! KEYS75OJQO
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, you need to go in from the back and remove the filter housing assembly so you can clean it out, remove the back panel on the dryer itself and then the screws that are under the filter when you pull it out there are two screws under the filter when you pull up filter out the top, then there were screws holding part number one on the blower assembly is on this diagram, once you have that loose pull it down and out the back and clean it out, there will be 1/4" screws around the bottom of # XXXXX hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That will take awhile.. Lots of screws back there. Since we are dealing with soap, how do you recommend that I clean the filter housing once I find it? And will I be able to get it all back together?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You will see how it comes apart once you get the back panel off, you can rinse it out and wipe it down to clean it once you have the filter assembly out, putting it back together is just a matter of doing things in reverse when you take them apart, let me know if you run into trouble, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gather that the filter housing is under the back left cover? I don't really understand thr drawing. Have removed the back and will remove cover that appears to me to be in the area the lint trap would be.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's what you do, I know the diagrams are confusing but you're on the right track
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes! I have it apart, now. What a mess! Is it ok if I stay on here until I see if I can get it back together after I clean it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Sure I will be on and off though but if you reply I will receive it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now I see there is a purple colored substance on the housing that does NOT appear to be soap. Is this some sort of lubricant or sealer that I should not remove...or is it something that got there a long time ago...my detergent is clear.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what the purple colored substance is probably from seal between the motor and the blower, this shouldn't be an issue though sometimes they use a grease they put the blower on but it won't get to be clothes, once you get it back together it will run fine, good job, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Possibly the detergent turned purple based on the blue clothes that I dried before I realized what had happened. ok I'll be back later...so far so good!~
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Great will talk then, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...so I have the housing cleaned out. I see there is some soap around the fan at the bottom of the back of the dryer. Also there is an sort of oval shaped vent back there. I assume where the lint comes out of the dryer.....there is alot of soap around the vent and the foam sealer is saturated. I can work to clean out the fan area..I think, but am concerned about the sealer around the vent. It wants to deteriorate when I handle it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yeah they all do that, its not a big deal though, the seal is mostly for rattling and not so much a seal. they are cheap. just clean the blower as best you can and the rest will eventually dry and be nothing to worry about, if you don't get every little spot don't worry about it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good to know...I don't want to burn down the house or short out everything. I am going to put it back together now. I should be back shortly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot, Bryan. I couldn't have done it without you!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Great job, I gather you have it back together and it's running, that's great, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was sure I would have a screw left over, but no! It seems all good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK...one more question...I just received my payment notice. It is for only $24.00. I did add a small tip. Why doesn't that show up?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure why the tip didn't show up on you're but it did on mine, thank you so much and I knew you could do it you sound very intelligent and I didn't think you'd have a problem with that at all, good job well wishes and thanks again, Bryan