Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have moved into a house which has a whirlpool LA600M washing

I have moved into a house which has a whirlpool LA600M washing machine. We are having problems with it leaving fluff all over the clothes. The manual says to remove the agitator to check for a build up of lint but i cant shift it. I have removed the fabric softener dispenser and cleaned that but all that happens if I try to lift the agiitator out is that I end up lifting the drum as well. Can you help please?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

this model # XXXXX XXXXX up a white Westinghouse washer. can you recheck and see if theres more to the number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh my goodness - you're right!! The manuals that the previous owners left aren't the models for the washer and dryer that we have! They look very similar....the washing machine is a whirlpool top loader and has number 3LBR6132EQ1 on a plate. We are in the uk so maybe they are made by White -Westinghouse and marketed by whirlpool. No idea how old the machine is I'm afraid.
ok, found it, when you pulled the top off the agitator and the reach down inside and pull this off, there will be a bolt to remove and then the agitator will come up and off, have you done that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No - can see the bolt but the instructions I had said that the agitator just pulled off - didn't want to go undoing random bolts lol. I'll go and locate a socket set and undo it. Will get back to you shortly.

Sure no problem, it could be a bunch of lint and stuff on the bottom of the agitated it could be getting on your clothes so you really should check that, it may be deeper than that and if it is you may need to have somebody come out to do it for you or replaced the machine let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hmm - got agitator out OK but no obvious lint. I'll give the whole thing another good clean tho' while I've got it apart. I'm just baffled as I've never had a problem like this before but this is the first time I've had a top loader. It's driving me crazy as my parents in law who are in their eighties live with us and nearly all their clothes are dark and they are always making remarks about how they come out of the wash (totally understandably). I've looked on various sites and lots of people do seem to have this problem with machines in the US. I think there is no lint filter in these machines- is that right?

Will they do show a filter but not all these machines have them, here are all the diagrams for your machine, that's about as good as I can do and they do show a filter if you look in the water system diagrams,click this blue link. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your help - will see how the next wash goes but think I have done all I can now.