S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

re-installing jenn-air cooktop with center downdraft plenum

re-installing jenn-air cooktop with center downdraft plenum into island with ceramic tile countertop. Previous homeowner used so much silicone under the lip of the cooktop, I cracked the ceramic cooktop in process of cutting the silicone to remove the whole unit. Had to replace the ceramic cooktop surface. there ae no clamps, so the weight of the unit plus the bond of the silicone is what keeps the unit from moving, correct? But isn't a small bead of silicone enough? there's always possibility it may have to be removed again, even if it's years from now...

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. The silicone is not even used to hold the unit in place. it is simply to keep spills and dirt out from under the unit. When we install them we use only enough to seal the gap at the edge of the unit. this is more that enough.

JACUSTOMER-q8305fkx- :

So, really the weight of the unit and the cut-out being just slightly larger than the unit is what holds it in place?

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is correct

JACUSTOMER-q8305fkx- :

Also, previous homeowner installed side trim pieces (looks like they were cut from longer top/bottom trim pieces), but i see from manual there were only trim pieces at top & bottom. Think I will leave off the side trim, asi t was not designed by Jenn-Air to be there at all...? And the new ceramic did not come with to p & bottom trim, so I must remove the old trim top & bottom from the ceramic, i think there was a thin layer of adhesive from Jenn Air, again I think he used a lot of silicone, any suggestions how to remove that trim from the old ceramic cooktop?

JACUSTOMER-q8305fkx- :

Can I leave the trim off completely? The corners are rounded on the ceramic top...

S.E.Thomas :

all of the tops that are sold today do not have any trim with them. i would guess this was used to hide some of the cut lines. there is really no need for the trim pieces.

JACUSTOMER-q8305fkx- :

Ok, thanks! That saved me from trying to remove the 2 old trim pieces! Wife will probably complain, but I will install with no trim.

S.E.Thomas :

lol yes that will most likely be the case. the top will be fine, as for her your on your own!!

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome and thank you