S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a Maytag range/oven (CHG 9800 BAM) that is giving me

I have a Maytag range/oven (CHG 9800 BAM) that is giving me an error code saying the clock assembly needs repair. Expensive part, that looks simple to plug in. Just checking to ensure HOW to lift the cooktop for access to the clock. Is it the 4-6 screws under the front, visible when you open the over door? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. In order to lift the top you must first remove the burners and the screws found under them. the burners turn counter clockwise a 1/4 turn then lift out. remove the wires and set them aside. You now want to remove the 4 screws that are under the 4 burners. one under each burner. Once these are removed you lift the front of the top up and foreward. it is just on 2 clips at the front. once it is removed you can access the front panel to remove the clock.

Customer :

I see the four burner screws, and I already had lifted the front up past those clips (even with burner screws on). Though I could only lift the top slightly past the clips. So with those screws out, the top will lift off completely? Nothing at the back to hold it on? The oven is a "slide in" model that slides in over trhe edges of teh countertop and has a low profile back that is nothing more than a oven vent grill.

Customer :

I notice the gaskets under the burners are dried out, but in place. Are these critical, or just to keep spills out? Shoudl I bother replacing while doing this?

Customer :

Thanks for help (I will certainly accept the charge!)

S.E.Thomas :

just throw what is left of the gaskets away. thry discontinued these.

S.E.Thomas :

they are no longer used.

S.E.Thomas :

on some slide in models it is necessary to slide the unit out and remove the 2 screws found on each rear corner of the top. they are \hard to see as they are up inside the holes in each corner.

S.E.Thomas :

DO NOT try to lift the top with out the four screws removed as this will damage the gas tubing.

Customer :

Thanks...I stopped lifting the top as soon as I felt resistance....

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance