Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE free standing range Model PG8918De, the broiler

I have a GE free standing range Model PG8918De, the broiler does turn on. I have set it at High, the food does not brown, never mind the deep golden brown you expect when you broil meat. Also, it takes one hour and twenty minutes to bake a potato. Is there a fix for this? If not, is there any other GE free standing range that has a high enough btu to broil?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This model number is XXXXX coming up is this a gas range? If so you need to replace the broil igniter, can you recheck the model number for me? I will look at the parts. Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

My gas range is new, I purchased it Dec 18, 2010. I am going to look at the model number again. Please wait a few seconds.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Sure no problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay great I found it, it's PGB not 8 but that's fine, the part # XXXXX need is, WB13K10020

and it's number 218 on this diagram,

replace this and you'll be all set, you can order this @ 13K21/0022/364/Model-PGB918DEM4WW/0432/0124002?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0124002&searchModelNumber=PGB918DEM4WW&subCompDesc=Gas%20&%20burner%20parts&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=GAS-RANGE&blt=11 hope this information is helpful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

why would I need a part for a brand new free standing gas range?

I did have a GE tech. come out to my house, and he pressed broil, proped open the range door, and told me the unit was working.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Okay I didn't know this was brand-new, I would call him back and demand he come back out and look at it obviously if it's not browning your food its not running correctly, it may have lit once for him while he was there but it's probably not relighting so it's not going continue to brown the food or broil, I would absolutely call GE and tell them you want this either repaired or replaced, I didn't realize this was a brand-new range sorry, but it's definitely got a problem that the technician didn't deal with, we see this a lot, I would make them stay and make sure this is relighting correctly and do any adjusting or the replacing of any parts needs, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The broiler does lite each time you turn it on. The food does not brown. I used a Taylor Commercial Oven Thermometer, and after having my meat in the broiler for ten minutes the meat was not even a little brown.

The representative at GE suggest the unit needs to be calibrated. We did that over the phone calibrate to what? I asked the tech, and he said, GE standard. He said, all the new ovens temperatures go up, and down they don't stay at example: 550 broil. He said, I am not use to the range, and it is not like my old one.

It is very difficult to get a real person to answer at GE.

I know I have to contact GE again, and I know I need to be able to present my case, that is why I contacted just answer. Please I need your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well obviously there's a problem with the control board then or the temperature probe, this is not correct what they say this just needs to be calibrated, if so why didn't the technician calibrated if that's all it needed, I realize the broiler lights each time you turn it on but when it's not doing is it's not relighting and keep in the broiler going, I'm not sure I understand what you would like us to do but I know if it was a calibration problem the technician when he was there would have calibrated it was that simple, I think it's one of the two problems I mentioned above either the control or the probe, there is no simple fix and since this is new you shouldn't have to even do anything to it, GE has to replace or repair this, tell them you demand somebody come out and you get this running correctly or get the oven replaced, I wish I could tell you more but really there's not much else to say they need to step up to the plate and take care of you, just tell him you will never buy another GE product again if they don't take care of this problem, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciated everything you are telling me, just one more question.

I am a senior, am I expecting the new free standing gas ranges to broil (brown my meat to a dark golden brown as my ten yearr old kitchen aid did), and the new ranges are not made to broil?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes they are made to broil that's what the problem is yours is not running correctly, this should broil just like your old one and to crap the they are telling you about it doesn't work the same as the old broilers is just flat out wrong, they are supposed to broil, why have a broil at all if it doesn't broil I'm sorry but GE is feeding you a pack of lies, yours is not working because there is a problem with it not because it was designed not to broil, does it make sense to have a broil at all if it doesn't broil? That's what I would tell them and if they argue with you tell them to send somebody out with the check and remove this oven, I wish you well and good luck, thanks, Bryan