Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

Maytag washer, drum gets off balance very easily and shuts

Customer Question

Maytag washer, drum gets off balance very easily and shuts down during spin cycle. Is it broken and can it be fixed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Peter replied 6 years ago.

Peter :

Hi, my name is Peter. If the inner tub is not loose, then remove the front panel, if all 3 springs are tight then look to where the 3 legs that support the tub go down to a 8" diameter circular plate. Just below that plate a felt pads called snubber pads, as they wear, come loose or get grease on them they do not restrict tub movement as designed. Check those snubber pads.

JACUSTOMER-qwiua18i- :

Can you tell me where the springs and snubber pads are on these diagrams? http://lookup.partadvantage.com/lookup/maytag/5810/00020859

JACUSTOMER-qwiua18i- :

Maybe the springs are #6 and pads are #8 in the first drawing?

Peter :

The snubber pads are #8 and the springs are #6. I have never had to replace the springs and only had to tighten one once. If they are tight then do not tighten them, only tighten if they are floppy loose.

JACUSTOMER-qwiua18i- :

How do I get the front panel off?

JACUSTOMER-qwiua18i- :

I got the front off, springs look fine, snubbers seem not too good, as drum rocks rather a lot when not rotating. Is this hard to replace? I can't really see it to see any wear, but do notice the drum wobbling. I can push the top of the drum back and forth by about 1/2"-1". Should it be able to wobble this much?

Peter :

The tub assembly (inner and outer together) will move back and forth if you push on it, does not take an excessive amount of force. The inner tub should not move by itself. When you push the tub assembly back you should be able to see the snubber pads. To change the pads 1. On the bolts that hold the springs to the bottom panel put a piece of tape just above the nut then loosen the nut away from the tape which will loosen the spring, do that to all three. Take out the two bolts that hold the top to the side panels in the front corners. Then take a 4x4 about 12" long or 2 2x4, tilt the washer back and place the wood directly under the center pulley (removing the belts will make it easier) then set the washer down on the wood, it will lift the tub and support assembly up enough for you to clean off the old snubber pads and glue the new pads down. When you purchase the pads you will need to purchase adhesive also.