Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

The top shelf in our freezer is not keeping the food frozen,

Customer Question

The top shelf in our freezer is not keeping the food frozen, but the rest of the freezer and refrigerator seem to be working fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Generally this is due to a freezer fan not working

Repairman1981 :

To test there are 2 door switches, one for light and one for fan. Leave the door open a few minutes to be sure the freezer is "running" then press the one that doesn't turn the light off and see if you hear a fan

Repairman1981 :

If you don't hear a fan the fan is bad and lemme know I can provide part numbers and prices for you on that. If the fan is running Reinspect the door seal or other weird air leak possibilities

Repairman1981 :

They don't share air between fresh food and freezer so it's not a refrigerator problem

Customer :

I opened the door and depressed the switch the fan came on. It sounds like the fan is blowing right behind the ice holder. It has a fair amount of ice build up on it. I turned the freezer off and used a hair dryer to defrost the ice, this morning it seems as if the ice is building up again, and the top shelf still is not freezing.

Repairman1981 :

Is there any way you can post a pic or describe in good detail the ice buildup and where it's forming, you could have anything from a simple defrost problem to a freon leak, and the ice would be the key to what is going on

Repairman1981 :

Since the fan is running, that rules out the common cause of this, but the ice is concerning. Thanks!

Customer :

It is on the coils directly behind the ice maker/ ice bin. Thicker in the middle of the coils as opposed to the sides.

Repairman1981 :

sounds like a defrost problem, but usually the frost should be even, not thicker in any 1 spot

Repairman1981 :

Can tyou monitor it for a day or so and see if it continues getting worse or not

Repairman1981 :

It's very normal with the hairdryer and all for it to frost up, It should go away within a day after the next defrost cycle